ENGINE SWAP

-

Frodee

Off center a bit
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 73 Scamp and was thinking about selling the 340 in it and buying a 408 stroker out of the Jegs catalog 445 hp and 500tq for $5,460.
anyone out there have any comments on the Idea.

My only comment would be to check with blueprint engines, they support our site. Oh, and you will LOVE the torque of a 4" stroke motor...

If i could afford it i would..but it goes deeper than just the engine.
Trans,rear end,brakes and steering all need a going over.
Even that may not be enough.frame connectors too.
Im wouldnt be willing to go that far for something to drive. I never intend on racing so its not even a consideration.

If i could afford it i would..but it goes deeper than just the engine.
Trans,rear end,brakes and steering all need a going over.
Even that may not be enough.frame connectors too.
Im wouldnt be willing to go that far for something to drive. I never intend on racing so its not even a consideration.
Retiring in a few months and want to have some fun. The car is going to be restored next winter and just got the tranny rebuilt and once I get the engine figured out will work on the suspension.
No major rust the car is in good shape.

I had a Chevy 383 Blueprint stroker in my Stingray. ....thing was straight bad ***...trouble free too.

Jeff

Retiring in a few months and want to have some fun. The car is going to be restored next winter and just got the tranny rebuilt and once I get the engine figured out will work on the suspension.
No major rust the car is in good shape.
Hey Fred I have talked to Johnny Mac the guys are right he’s awsome to deal with the closer the valiant gets I’m getting me one ! Deal with him direct cut out the middle man . Where else can you get a dyno tuned engine from carb to pan 6900$$ bolt in and go ,can’t build one your self for that unless you own a machine shop! And I know your a body man :poke:

Hey Fred I have talked to Johnny Mac the guys are right he’s awsome to deal with the closer the valiant gets I’m getting me one ! Deal with him direct cut out the middle man . Where else can you get a dyno tuned engine from carb to pan 6900$$ bolt in and go ,can’t build one your self for that unless you own a machine shop! And I know your a body man :poke:[/
Hey Fred I have talked to Johnny Mac the guys are right he’s awsome to deal with the closer the valiant gets I’m getting me one ! Deal with him direct cut out the middle man . Where else can you get a dyno tuned engine from carb to pan 6900$$ bolt in and go ,can’t build one your self for that unless you own a machine shop! And I know your a body man :poke:
Hey Biff yea looks like the way to go. My intake , dist. and carb. is already set for that kind of HP so should be ok.

I have no idea how much torque/power my 367 has. But it's way more than 325/50-15DRs can handle. So 445/500 by itself,don't impress me much. It would be like hunting a skunk with a cannon; how dead do you need the thing to be? A .22 will make the same stink.
But if you can make it hook, I'd sure like to go for a ride! :)

I love the stroker motor idea. But let me ask you a question. Have you considered building up your current 340? You could get a VERY healthy and streetable 340 for less than the cost of a stroker. I am NOT trying to talk you out of buying a stroker at all. I am just suggesting it as a cost effective option. I have a 375 HP 340, and it is a lot of fun. If you can do any of your own work, it will cost even less. On the other hand, another thing to consider is that a good running 340 can fetch a decent price.

I spent 7100 alone one machine work ,my own head porting ,and assembly. (a decade, go...)
It's a honest deal.

I have no idea how much torque/power my 367 has. But it's way more than 325/50-15DRs can handle. So 445/500 by itself,don't impress me much. It would be like hunting a skunk with a cannon; how dead do you need the thing to be? A .22 will make the same stink.
But if you can make it hook, I'd sure like to go for a ride! :)
Good point AJ.

I love the stroker motor idea. But let me ask you a question. Have you considered building up your current 340? You could get a VERY healthy and streetable 340 for less than the cost of a stroker. I am NOT trying to talk you out of buying a stroker at all. I am just suggesting it as a cost effective option. I have a 375 HP 340, and it is a lot of fun. If you can do any of your own work, it will cost even less. On the other hand, another thing to consider is that a good running 340 can fetch a decent price.
Yes I thought about rebuilding my 340 I had it apart last winter to see what it had inside. I bought the car with the engine already rebuilt with less than 20,000 miles on it and didn't know how it was set up and wanted to do some changes. I found that the crank was cast and just put together with cheap parts. The biggest problem was the deck height was off, right bank was .8000 above deck and the left bank was .4000 below deck. The cost was almost the same to get the 340 redone.

well, see, there you go; half the machining has already been done for you!,lol.
and with only 20,000 miles on her, it should be a cheap rebuild
and I bet she already has a good sized cam in her.....
so all you need is a good set of heads and a bump in compression and Badaboom!, time for some tiresmoke!

well, see, there you go; half the machining has already been done for you!,lol.
and with only 20,000 miles on her, it should be a cheap rebuild
and I bet she already has a good sized cam in her.....
so all you need is a good set of heads and a bump in compression and Badaboom!, time for some tiresmoke!
What do I do about the different deck heights AJ?
I sure see your point about having to much torque and don't need to burn out all the way down the track.

What do I do about the different deck heights AJ?
I sure see your point about having to much torque and don't need to burn out all the way down the track.
your machine shop can take care of that, but is it a deck issue or a piston compression height issue? You won't know until you take it apart and start measuring.
IMO, the 340 is an ideal size A-body engine, when equipped with an overdrive; perhaps even better than the 360. Both have their pros and cons.
I chose the 360 for it's propensity to make torque with a bigger cam, or to make mpgs with a smaller cam, or to run less gear than a 340/318. I live 20 minutes from the nearest urban center, so this car is always traveling. The longer stroke allowed me to run a bigger cam and not lose economy as fast.
By the same token, all that torque is a handful. If it would have been a lightweight citycar, I probably would have gone with a 340, as I had the cores. My Second-Gen Barracuda is a bit of a porker, another reason for the 360. The car is 3450 me not in it; and that is with all the aluminum parts and the GVOD. The folding rearseat alone is 70 pounds. Needless to say, it took up residence in the shed rafters, since 2004

Last edited:
your machine shop can take care of that, but is it a deck issue or a piston compression height issue? You won't know until you take it apart and start measuring.
IMO, the 340 is an ideal size A-body engine, when equipped with an overdrive; perhaps even better than the 360. Both have their pros and cons.
Looks like I have the time to take her apart and find out so that's what I will do AJ.
And just a side note I thought I had cancer but the tests came back and the doc gave me a clean bill of health so I really have the time to do it right. Thanks AJ.

-
Back