Engine swap?

-

Road Hog

Reaction score
Considering replacing the tired 225 in my wife's 63 valiant. It has a 904 push button trannny that was rebuilt by a previous owner. The current engine has a 2806830 casting # which tells me it's a 67-74. I would like to find someone's "take out" that is in good running condition. Are all 225's a direct fit? I need to keep this on the CHEEP because my wife says """Why would you replace the engine? It starts and runs fine!!!!"""". I do have to add oil constantly and it does run great. Yeah I've done all the tests, the engine needs rebuilt or replaced,,,,THNX!!! RH

Considering replacing the tired 225 in my wife's 63 valiant. It has a 904 push button trannny that was rebuilt by a previous owner. The current engine has a 2806830 casting # which tells me it's a 67-74. I would like to find someone's "take out" that is in good running condition. Are all 225's a direct fit? I need to keep this on the CHEEP because my wife says """Why would you replace the engine? It starts and runs fine!!!!"""". I do have to add oil constantly and it does run great. Yeah I've done all the tests, the engine needs rebuilt or replaced,,,,THNX!!! RH
Then share those findings with your wife. Women are different, not stupid.

I think 68-74 are interchangeable but I believe 67 is different. Pilot hole in crank maybe different ? I don't remember.

Then share those findings with your wife. Women are different, not stupid.
I didn't think my post implied that my wife is stupid, but she is frugal!!! As a matter of fact, she is very intelligent because she married a great guy.

I didn't think my post implied that my wife is stupid, but she is frugal!!! As a matter of fact, she is very intelligent because she married a great guy.
I didn't say that, either. lol All I said was splain it to her. Once she understands, things might go easier for you! lol

Rusty, I really have to get some numbers first as I would not want to spend what it would take to do a proper overhaul either. BUT!!!!, if I can find a good running take out, CHEEP, I would go that route.

Your wife's car should have a small hub converter and I underline should, a 68 and later slant will bolt up ok as long as you install a bushing in the rear of the 68 and later crank. You will need to reuse the early A oil pan and pickup tube. A lot of things happen to a 60-year-old car. You know the engine has been replaced at some point in its life but many of its secrets won't be known until you remove it and find them. There are members here that sell the bushing as far as the oil pan crawl under the car and have someone turn the steering against the steering stops and observe if the drag link clears the oil pan ok, if not you may need an oil pan and pick up tube. The tubes are no longer available new so used is about the only option.

I just sent you a PM. I might be able to help and I am also in Illinois.

67 and lower will drop right in. 68 had the larger crank receiver and you'll break the flex plate in time if you don't use the 1/8" wall centering bushing. You can always use the old small receiver crank in the newer block unless it's a late cast crank block.

Rusty, I really have to get some numbers first as I would not want to spend what it would take to do a proper overhaul either. BUT!!!!, if I can find a good running take out, CHEEP, I would go that route.
Ive sent you 2 pms about an engine that you could drop in and go with, only needing the centering ring for the older converter snout.....
If nothing else drop this one in and take your time rebuilding the original engine. As you can afford it or parts become available, your engine languishes in machine shop jail, whatever.

Last edited:
I also have an extra drool tube head, besides, that could go with. Best of all worlds. The engine I have is a late model cast crank (can rev faster due to less centrifugal force to spin vs forged) and the drool tube heads were the lightest of the heads used on the /6 over the years haha.....

-
Back