Engine tech magnum heads

-

psi_duster

Reaction score
Has anyone on here used the enginetech brand replacement magnum heads EHCR318-1
I can get a pair bare quite cheap but not sure if they are worth the effort to make them work or buy complete assembled heads. Just for a stockish rebuild with a mild cam.

Screenshot_20221204-162952_eBay.jpg

Someone here using those particular heads? Akin to finding a needle in a haystack I’m thinking. Pure oem daily driver level head for the Ram pickups or vans they came on. But if it’s what you can fit in the budget, they will do fine, just get them bare. Spec your own valves, possibly add bronze guide liners, whatever level of valve job and any port work and “most importantly” valve springs for the cam you end up using. Fully assembled is not what you want with those.
We bought some of those China made oem iron assembled heads a few years back for a 98 Mazda/Ford V6 pickup and they worked fine. Plain basic replacement head is all they are.

Thank you for the reply. I figured they'd be nothing special but trying to determine if they are any worse than the China engine quest/ jegs/promaxx/speedmaster etc. Sounds like they're all about the same.

Thank you for the reply. I figured they'd be nothing special but trying to determine if they are any worse than the China engine quest/ jegs/promaxx/speedmaster etc. Sounds like they're all about the same.
Yep. Not a bad replacement head. Not as prone to cracking than the oem heads I heard. They had better be cheap if you are building them from scratch. Valves, springs, retainers, keepers, and seals can add up$$$ The bare heads wouldn't be bad if you could reuse partsfrom your old Magnum heads.

All the replacement heads are probably all the same castings. I would call promaxx and see what they do to them. They might be most likely to have quality work. I would be wondering if they do their own valve jobs in their replacement heads..

Yep. Not a bad replacement head. Not as prone to cracking than the oem heads I heard. They had better be cheap if you are building them from scratch. Valves, springs, retainers, keepers, and seals can add up$$$ The bare heads wouldn't be bad if you could reuse partsfrom your old Magnum heads.

You're right about how things can quickly add up. I probably can reuse a lot of the parts from my original heads.

All the replacement heads are probably all the same castings. I would call promaxx and see what they do to them. They might be most likely to have quality work. I would be wondering if they do their own valve jobs in their replacement heads..
Thanks Cookietruck I figure there can't be too many different foundries making them. That's a good idea re the promaxx ones, might be a good deal if it's all quality usa finishing work on the castings.

-
Back