Engine torque strap

-

PG Duster

Reaction score
I have A 1974 360 magnum swap Duster, I just put nitrous on it. I’m thinking of putting a engine torque strap on the car to handle the extra HP and torque. Is this a good place to mount it?

DDF3974D-DDB0-4433-B31A-39839E7B05E7.jpeg

78CCE964-21B7-433A-8F95-12F9345649B6.png

I know this is a picture of B body car, but an A body is similar to the picture just below the battery tray just to the left of it. The top picture is of the torque strap I’m going to order From competition engineering.

Last edited:
That's a pretty common landing for torque straps. Some people prefer a chain so you don't get engine vibration transferred to the chassis like solid motor mounts.

Frame rail or k-frame. It needs to be mounted to a structural member not the body.

That's a pretty common landing for torque straps. Some people prefer a chain so you don't get engine vibration transferred to the chassis like solid motor mounts.

the good thing about the torque is it has pins to remove it when not in use.

I nailed my Schumacher strut down to the K-member. This IMO is a better angle of pull.
The Schumacher is like the one posted by @A56 , with a rubber biscuit sandwich, so I just leave mine installed.

I fail to see the need for a torque strap on a spool mount K frame, since it cannot separate, even if by some fluke it would fail- if you just need to minimize engine movement, install poly bushings.
1973-1989 Plymouth Duster Parts | 51106G | 1973-76 Mopar A/B-Body Small Block V8 Black Polyurethane Motor Mount Insert Set | Classic Industries

I had a 1971 340 Duster and I have broken my share of motor mounts. so with the type of Motor mounts on a 1974 does not have the same issue? If not needed I can save money by leaving it as is, or getting the polyurethane motor mount inserts. This is my first time owning a 1974 Duster with a 360 magnum swap. Please let me know.

Last edited:

That is exactly what I have been looking for, for the last eight months, nobody has them. Mancini Racing and Classic Industries says that it’s on back order and will be arriving soon, but I’ve been seeing that same message for the last eight months. I’ve even spoke to someone at Mancini Racing, and what I was told is the person that made those no longer makes them any more, that why I haven’t located it yet. Anyone have one that they would like to sell?

Last edited:
I had a 1971 340 Duster and I have broken my share of motor mounts. so with the type of Motor mounts on a 1974 does not have the same issue? If not needed I can save money by leaving it as is, or getting the polyurethane motor mount inserts. This is my first time owning a 1974 Duster with a 360 magnum swap. Please let me know.
No, they're completely different.
Since you've "broken your share of motor mounts" (There's a very easy cure for this, BTW) on a '71, you know they use a biscuit type mount sandwiched between the engine bracket and K frame pedestal:
OIP.uDnudT9iFjvTESogIEohJAHaJ4?w=121&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.jpg

Now go look at your '74- the engine brackets have a rubber insert inside of the metal bracket that uses a through bolt to attach to the revised K frame pedestal. It physically can not separate.
OIP.e3LKkEx1XD5aTHctdqlhRgHaJ4?w=125&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.jpg

The rubber can deteriorate or become soft over time and exposure to oil, grease, etc. which is why I mentioned the poly inserts. But even when it does, your engine cannot "break loose" like it can with the earlier sandwich mounts.

No, they're completely different.
Since you've "broken your share of motor mounts" (There's a very easy cure for this, BTW) on a '71, you know they use a biscuit type mount sandwiched between the engine bracket and K frame pedestal:
View attachment 1715984274
Now go look at your '74- the engine brackets have a rubber insert inside of the metal bracket that uses a through bolt to attach to the revised K frame pedestal. It physically can not separate.
View attachment 1715984275
The rubber can deteriorate or become soft over time and exposure to oil, grease, etc. which is why I mentioned the poly inserts. But even when it does, your engine cannot "break loose" like it can with the earlier sandwich mounts.

Thank you Professor Fate, there is a difference, and I see what you’re taking about. I’ve been looking for those polyurethane inserts, Classic Industries does not have any more there on back order and the message says coming soon, and that’s on the black and red ones. I will try Jeg and Summit.

-
Back