Engine will not idle

-

Joseph24251_200

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
I got the new 360 up and running but it will not idle if I drop the idle speed below 1500 it'll just stumble a couple of time and shut off. At about 2000 rpm when i put it in gear it falls back to about 1000rpm. What is the deal here, someone help please help.

I agree with Eric, try to slowly close the choke butterfly while bringing the engine speed down, if it will idle at a lower speed and be smoother with the choke partly or mostly closed, you have a definite leak!

So I'll take it that the intake it self could cause this, when installin the intake i noticed that to it was kind of hard to starte the bolts. Maybe i need to have it cut.

Check your base plate and the carb gasket before you do anything.
Did it idle better when you closed the chock down?

OK i just did the choke thing but it just died down when i would close to choke but i did notice that i got a lil pressure in my valve covers, and the pressure in the valve covers is new whats up with that. Would this be a result of the wider ring gap for the Keith black pistons.

If the engine is fresh it may have a little blow by until the rings seat but it shouldn't be much. Do you have a pcv valve on one side and a breather on the other so it will properly evacuate the crankcase? I didn't have any problem with my KB's and the wider ring gap. I even set mine looser for using nitrous.

It sounds like something is wrong in the idle circuit of your carb. Have you had the carb on anything else to make sure it works right? What kind of carb is it? Have you tried to adjust the idle screws to see what happened?

If you had trouble starting the bolts for the intake..the intake doesnt fit right. Fix that first. Otherwise you're just chasing your tail.

alright guys thanks the carb came off my truck engine which is also a fresh engine and runs fine on there so i'm just going to fix the intake and see what happens.

I came across this Problem Solving Flow Chart somewhere & thought it might help you out with your car. Good Luck! Hope it helps!

:burnout:

Problem Solving Flow Chart 1.jpg

-
Back