Enginetech loose piston wire locks

-

Hysteric

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ever seen wire locks this loose on a piston from the manufacturer? The piston pin is chamfered but even then would you risk it? Groove looks to be curved so options look limited. Any ideas ?

1664691077996.png

Send that photo to where you bought the pistons. Those locks are too small. Wrong ones.

Send that photo to where you bought the pistons. Those locks are too small. Wrong ones.
I've done that but they're on the other side of the world so mailing me a new correct set will take weeks if not longer. Looks like I have a local supplier that carries locks but mainly Chev stuff which is too small or BB Chev/Chrysler but they look to be for a square slot. They have a BB Ford spring clip that's slightly larger @ 1.180 vs the Chrysler size @ 1.120.

SPLR179 - FORD BIG BLOCK PISTON PIN

That's looking like my only option.

Last edited:
I've done that but they're on the other side of the world so mailing me a new correct set will take weeks if not longer. Looks like I have a local supplier that carries locks but mainly Chev stuff which is too small or BB Chev/Chrysler but they look to be for a square slot. They have a BB Ford spring clip that's slightly larger @ 1.180 vs the Chrysler size @ 1.120.

SPLR179 - FORD BIG BLOCK PISTON PIN

That's looking like my only option.
If that's the correct wire diameter, & it goes in, that'll work.

If that's the correct wire diameter, & it goes in, that'll work.
That parts has been superseded with a circlip that's square at the outer edge. They haven't updated the pic on the site so need to find another option.

Wire locks showed up after chasing the supplier for the correct ones. These also have a tang that that will protrude inwards or outwards depending on which way they are installed. I'm inclined to install them with tang pointing inwards which i would assume secures the pin but does anyone have a definitive answer on the direction they should go in?

According to the ACL manual, tang should go outwards. ACL are in Tassie, as you probably know.

-
Back