Epoxy garage floor paint...on a truck?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Fun idea. Beater pickup has lots of rust spots, peeling clear coat, dings. It will never be a show truck and the bed is rusting pretty good at the corners from years of wet leaves and crap and spots of body that I sanded down to metal are rusting through the primer. SO....I got a free gallon of garage floor epoxy coating and hardener and was wondering if this stuff sticks to metal? Nothing on the instructions says anything about metal application but I remember this stuff as thick and somewhat self leveling even with a roller. Only thing it says is the surface must be clean of ALL oil and silicone or it will fisheye or peel up. Idea was to wire wheel the bed to base metal and coat the bed floor and then run it up the sides if I had any left. Coverage is 2-350 square feet...Hmmm. Could I do the whole truck? I've seen entire trucks in rhino liner, doesn't look terrible as a work/4X4 truck.

Cmon...no one has an opinion on this? Flame away.....

It was at the liquor store.

20210514_175207.jpg

Not sure of the granite look speckles...wonder if pearl would mix in? Thats about what I saw but it was charcoal gray. I wonder if I could tint the coating with some blue as it's blue at the moment and would help with jams and under hood and interior

It might mix in but I doubt you would see the effects without a clear coat.
EDIT: ^^^ I was talking about the pearl. I think the tint should work. 10% is the norm for things like that.

Last edited:
I'm 100% against clear coat at the moment. I'll look at manufacturer website about tinting the base. Do you think it will adhere to metal (primed or bare) and light rust? Ala POR-15?

I should have talked to the driver of the truck that I saw.

I think I'm gonna try it. Maybe a small 1oz mixed batch to see how it lays on and how it adheres. I know POR-15 tends to peel if its not on a super clean surface. The exterior of the truck is oil free but the bed and engine bay is gonna need some help stripping of old grease tracks.

Por15 needs tooth. (Course grit) sandblasted is best. Wait until it’s just a little tacky to the touch for the topcoat.

As it's a 2 part epoxy, do I mix a second batch for topcoat? Or does it stay workable (says 6 hour pot life) ?

If you are asking me, I have no idea. I have never used the stuff. I just assumed it was a one coat deal.

10-4...me neither. I just don't know of how 2 part epoxy works in the pot...does it cure en mass like bondo or faster when thinner on the panel? Well see.

10-4...me neither. I just don't know of how 2 part epoxy works in the pot...does it cure en mass like bondo or faster when thinner on the panel? Well see.
If you are spraying it you might get away with consecutive coats in one mix like you do with car paint but rolling it, I think it would not work that way.

Is that you plan, to spray it? If so what are you using? Just curious And keep us posted.

It will turn yellow over time. I've got the 2-part epoxy on the floors on my garages and the areas that see sunlight are yellowed. I don't mind because it's just a shop floor, but I wouldn't think it would look good on a truck.

Is that you plan, to spray it? If so what are you using? Just curious And keep us posted.
I'm thinking of rolling it with a foam roller but I do have a sprayer and a cheap purple gun. Not sure how you thin 2 part epoxy coating for gun viscosity and I wanna keep it all on the truck. Could give a rip about the finish in the bed but I'd like it semi smooth on the panels...? Wonder if i could wet sand it afterwords? Buddy shot some aircraft paint on a car and it looked like a red avocado. Spent a week sanding it and polishing it and it came out frigging awesome.

Thats some cool stuff! I opened my old 2 part Epoxy paint and it was expired: Black mold on inside of lid and complete separation of solids from the liquid part, and the solid was the consistency of dried clay so I struck out on that one. Tried to stir it but it was like trying to reconstitute a brick. And all the black mold specs floating around? Nah, Ill just buy another kit. I'm kinda wondering if the 2 part epoxy paint will run on the side panels? I think the flat portions will set up just fine but am curious how the vertical parts will cure.

-
Back