Equipment Inspection

-

eestatic

Reaction score
Thought I'd pass this along!

I look my lift over with scrutiny but missed this..the plastic "sleeve" was obscuring the hose fraying from flexing at the fitting. It popped and anointed everything near by with fluid. Thank the Lord the vehicle was only up about 6" when it it happened!

Attachments

• IMG_0617.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0621.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 155
Didn't the safety ratchets 'catch'?

My lift is all steel tube. The tubing is small enough (5/16 I believe) that if it suffered both a failure of the safety ratchets AND a burst tube, It "should" LOL come down at about the same speed as a normal descent

Frankly I'd look into why yours did that. You should not have much flex or abrasion there. Make sure you get high quality hose as a replacement.

A lot of these lifts don't reach the safety catches until it is about 20-30" off the ground.

Yup, the safety latches engage at about 26 inches or so and it appears that the hose flexing has caused the fray. Definitely a concern!
I went back with a heavier hose (dual wire wrap), instead of the single from the factory. 5000 psi vs 2700 psi.
It appeared to come down a tad faster than under control, but I'm not sure. In those few seconds I was processing alot of information!!

-
Back