ET Question-Stocker....

-

jeeper

Reaction score
Hello,

I am preparing to get started on the Duster here by the end of the month or so.

Currently the the car is dead stock 318, 2 barrel etc.

My plans are the following:

1. Install my thermoquad and OEM intake on the 318
2. Headers with a 2.5" exhaust
3. 3:21's in the rear.

Dead stock otherwise with minimal options.

Any guesses as to probable ET? I realize this is like the dreaded WIW questions people post on other forums but any guesses?

Thanks as always, ROB

guessing it a automatic, The gears a way to high for any decent et's, but my guess would be it the 15sec, 90 mph, 1/4 mile range. Sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear, but I could be way off too. Maybe someone else is running something similar to you, and can give you a better idea.

I wanted to break into the 15's this summer. I would expect it to be on the high end of the 15's not the low end if I get there at all.

ROB

For any type of guestimate", you need to tell us what tires, what trans, what gear, have you ever been racing? How good are your skills? details..details...

Have a friend with a 73 dart. Ran a worn out 318 2bbl cammed car. Had a holley 600 cfm carb on a oem 4 bbl intake with headers and 2.5" exhaust and 2.76 gears. 904 auto ( it was beat too) Ran 15 flat in the quarter. I couldn't believe it!! Tires were 235/60r14's. Of course he will be a bit faster now that a 383 resides in the engine bay!!

The car has an automatic 904. The tire size is 205/75/r15 on the back. The car has P/S and a map light but that is about it for options. Bench seat etc. I have not gutted anything or attempted to help it lose weight yet. 3.21 ratio for the rear end.

My experience with cars has been limited for the past ten years ago. I was a car guy until I went into 4x4's for a long time and am still there to a large degree.

Prior to my immersion in trucks, I played with F..ds and did the usual gearing and cam and head work etc.

I have not ever driven on the strip. Watched, but never raced.

BTW- I am fairly well read on the cars and I read the article from Hot Rod about 3 years ago where they did the Nitrous bomb A body. It had a real tired 318 with some good gears in it. It seemed like it did higher 15's. Although I don't remember for sure. I may very well be lucky to crack the 15's.

I hope this helps, ROB

What is your altitude? Funny question I know, but where I live the strip is at 5800' and 318's run 17 -18 second quarters stock, a strong one may break into the 16's. take a second off for sea level.

I'll say with the 3.21s and 75 series 15" tires..you might get a high 15 out of it. Put a small diameter set of wheels/tires, you may run lower 15s

I really don't think traction is going to be much of an issue! I have some wide wheels that I could swap on some short sticky tires unto.

I know from my F..d days that the difference with my 289 and 3.50's compared to the 2.79's was astronomical, or at least the difference between moving fast and not.

Thanks, ROB

jeeper said:
I think the strip altitude would be around 1000 foot. I live at 4500.

Thanks, ROB

Not necessarily track altitude is what your looking at. The track may be at 1000 feet, but the D/A- Density Altitude will tell you different. Theres no easy way to figure it out unless you know someone with a weather machine. For instance, my track is i think 2,000ft...last time i ran it was 3,600ft D/A..so its 2000ft, but like running at 3600 due to the heat/humidity... :salut:

dude ,I would almost say it will go at least 15.5s . had a freind with a 1973 duster 2 barrell 318 that ran 15.6 allday

I would assume you are asking me. I am looking to run hopefully by early next month. The nearest track in any direction is 100 miles or so and I am pretty busy finishing off the school year. I'm a shop teacher that actually gets my hands dirty so things are busy finishing off the young peoples projects before June.

I realized that posting asking for a guestimate on ET was very similar to WIW questions.....which have a tendency to degenerate on other forums!

Anyways, today it is speedo cable replacement, coolant overflow bottle installation and other clean-up work on the Duster. Guage installation will be next week.

I work on the car at work with my kids about a day a week and then some at home.

I have wanted an A body with a V8 for a long time. A real long time so if it takes a year or two to get where I want to be that is OK with me. I'm old and patient, if you consider 35 old I guess.....

Hey Jeeper....Actually I did consider 35 old at one time. That was when it was one of my high school teachers 33 years ago! But now????
Good luck with your Duster project and keep us posted.

-
Back