ET Report Card on the Speedmaster Heads

-
I know there's more improvement in it than that if you have time for jetting and getting your spark plugs and timing curve optimized to the rest of the combination....

I know there's more improvement in it than that if you have time for jetting and getting your spark plugs and timing curve optimized to the rest of the combination....
More improvement yes, but 2.5 tenths is a pretty good gain on a basically stock engine. I mean broom stick for a cam. lol :D
needs 500 lift and more duration to take advantage of the head. Probably a few more tenths to be had.

Funny how you actually show how some basic hot rodding can your car go pretty good with low cr no performance gears and stall, but on thread after thread people keep saying it can't be done. Keep up the good work.

Yes, Kudos! Really curious to see what you've got planed next, it sounds like your about to start getting "serious' with it...

Sounds from the video, tranny might be your next step? wonder what you would pick up? with stall shift kit and maybe a deeper 1st gear.

Sounds from the video, tranny might be your next step? wonder what you would pick up? with stall shift kit and maybe a deeper 1st gear.
I honestly cannot believe that tranny has held. I've been beating on it with the 360 for about 6 years.... LOL

The “lowly” 904 is probably one of the more under rated transmissions ever made. Even when properly maintained, it can still be broken, but it usually takes some unreasonably hard abuse or maladjustment to tear one up.

Would really like to see the engine tuned up with these heads and converter and gears run a 12.xx.
That would be a statement very few can make but would show that a basiclly stock combo can do 12s. Lol

A vote for tune it, 318wr, is a vote for the little guy.
Go for it.
Tune it.
Tune it.
Tune it.

Would really like to see the engine tuned up with these heads and converter and gears run a 12.xx.
That would be a statement very few can make but would show that a basiclly stock combo can do 12s. Lol
I'd love to do it and certainly I could make it happen. I mean, a .13 is all were talk'n. Problem is I'm limited to the number of trips I can make to the dragstrip, especially with their bracket season being crammed due to COVID. They got me 40 bucks to enter yesterday, then gas and food.... so $$$ starts to play a part too.

Nicely done! You're knocking on that 12 sec door. Thanks for the comparison.

8.33 at 82... Thats pretty decent for what you have there! A friend of mine has a very similar duster with a store bought low compression 360 but put his ported magnum heads on it also runs 8.30s with a 904 and a 3.23 8 1/4. His like yours is daily driven in city traffic and will put the hurt on most unsuspecting sports cars any given day. Looking forward to seeing how those heads respond to a cam change!

8.33 at 82... Thats pretty decent for what you have there! A friend of mine has a very similar duster with a store bought low compression 360 but put his ported magnum heads on it also runs 8.30s with a 904 and a 3.23 8 1/4. His like yours is daily driven in city traffic and will put the hurt on most unsuspecting sports cars any given day. Looking forward to seeing how those heads respond to a cam change!
Very interesting! I almost went with Magnum heads to see what the difference/gain would be over the stock 360 heads. In fact, I bought the pushrods, lifters, gaskets and was ready to do the swap, but decided on the SM heads instead. Thanks for sharing

This is starting to get really interesting. 318WR didn't say if time was also a factor for the track testing but maybe this is the answer to start baseline and tuning at home. Car Calc
Or maybe we need to start a racing fund and put 318WR to work!

This is starting to get really interesting. 318WR didn't say if time was also a factor for the track testing but maybe this is the answer to start baseline and tuning at home. Car Calc
Or maybe we need to start a racing fund and put 318WR to work!
LOL... yes, time is a factor. Like everyone else, I work a lot and have the normal things in life such as home and family. Then trying to line up with track scheduling is hard, so many special events and then throw in the virus.... And, of course, throw in the fact that I usually have multiple projects... LOL. Yes, it cost $$$ too, but none of this is "need" so I just do it when it's light on the wallet.. :D Jake has the itches to get back to the drag truck, so trying to line up our schedules means we work opposite shifts... We'll get there, though :)

LOL... yes, time is a factor. Like everyone else, I work a lot and have the normal things in life such as home and family. Then trying to line up with track scheduling is hard, so many special events and then throw in the virus.... And, of course, throw in the fact that I usually have multiple projects... LOL. Yes, it cost $$$ too, but none of this is "need" so I just do it when it's light on the wallet.. :D Jake has the itches to get back to the drag truck, so trying to line up our schedules means we work opposite shifts... We'll get there, though :)

The things we do for Fun!!!

you could try some 1.6 Rockers before swapping cams…..Maybe a fellow mopar guy around you has got a spare set?

Michael

Time slip is pretty decent. ET/MPH are better than the 60' now, so there is time down low. You mentioned a pop. If you took .05-.08 out of the 60', you'd be right at 13.00 is my guess.

There's likely 2-3 tenths in the tune right now.

At the beginning of the video...... the car looks like it goes down the road real nice with those 2.94 gears.
:thumbsup:

Thank you for your video and posts, but as stated with more camshaft and gearing those heads will really start to shine. I have been running them for about 4 years mine have a competition valve job with a 500 lift cam 240 at 50 . And with a 391 rear gear 26- inch rear tire and a well tuned six-pack those heads really make my 340 scoot so you have lots of room to grow and that's a good thing.

At the beginning of the video...... the car looks like it goes down the road real nice with those 2.94 gears.
:thumbsup:
I love the 2.94's when floating down the road at 60 mph. Car is relaxed which makes me relaxed ! :)

Time slip is pretty decent. ET/MPH are better than the 60' now, so there is time down low. You mentioned a pop. If you took .05-.08 out of the 60', you'd be right at 13.00 is my guess.

There's likely 2-3 tenths in the tune right now.
I'm sure I could pull a tenth or two out in just the tune. Stock converter and 2.94's makes the 60 ft a challenge, and I think mid 1.8's is pretty satisfactory. I have a big problem with only a 19 mph pick up the last 1/8 mile. There was a head wind of at least 10 mph or better, so maybe that effected it some.

Last edited:
-
Back