Evap core plugged?

-

dragbaron

Reaction score
I'm trying to get AC working on my '71 Scamp that hasn't had any AC components on it in years. I tried to "flush" the evap core by spraying some cleaner in the larger fitting and then using compressed air to blow it out the smaller fitting. Got some cleaner to come out the smaller fitting, but it definately wants to blow more back out the larger fitting. Figured it was plugged until I saw pics of new ones on Ebay. Those fittings split into much smaller lines, so now I'm not so sure its plugged.

Are these evap cores kinda hard to blow compressed air through even when there clean?

you could take it to a radiator shop and have it cleaned and they will tell you if clogged when tested.

Consider this, In coming side of the expansion valve has anywhere from 3 to 5 very dense cone shaped screens. Here, like fixed orifice tubes in later models, is where clogs are found. Evaporators more commonly leak.

Consider this, In coming side of the expansion valve has anywhere from 3 to 5 very dense cone shaped screens. Here, like fixed orifice tubes in later models, is where clogs are found. Evaporators more commonly leak.
It did still have the expansion valve on it, but I removed it when I tried to blow air through it. I'm not thinking clogged with dirt, maybe more like gummed up remains of oil or something. when I removed the expansion valve there was a little bit of green sticky stuff inside it. Also, what came out of the smaller fitting was definately oily. Just wondering if they're hard to blow through, even when they're clean after seeing pics of new ones and seeing how small the tubes get before they enter the actual core.

67 68 69 70 71 72 Plymouth Duster Barracuda Valiant Dodge Dart Evaporator Core

See my post in July 2014 where I tried to reuse the original disconnected evaporator; it leaked after a day and had to replace with one from ebay.

-
Back