EVAPO-RUST AND A FUEL SENDING UNIT

-
Hi Folks

Electrical or Fuel & Air? Here goes........ :)

Does anyone have any personal experience soaking a complete fuel sending unit in Evapo-rust? I know the metal can handle it, but what about the rheostat winding?

ALSO............Does anyone have a link to a pick-up sock for the sending unit?

Thanks FABO
Regarding your last question, conduct a search on eBay. The listing might not mention your make of car, all you need is one that fits 5/16 tube.

Spray some Rust Mort on that floor. (Not the sender) Works awesome. Follow the instructions.
SEM 69501 Rust Mort - 1 Gallon
I looked it up, and as-suspected Rust Mort is just Phosphoric Acid, which converts rust into a hard black substance (iron phosphate?).
https://semproducts.com/public/content/msds/69501,69508 Rust MortUSA.pdf

You can buy it cheaper and locally as "Concrete Etch and Metal Prep" at Home Depot. It is the active ingredient in rust-converter spray paints and CLR. My de-rusting approach has evolved to wire brush loose rust, soak several days in Evapo-Rust, clean then soak in phosphoric acid to convert remaining rust pits to hard black, then rattle-can metal primer.

I run a large group of fasteners thru same in a glass jar, shaking in a large yogurt jug between with soapy water to knock the loose stuff off, with many rinses. I then paint with black lacquer rattle can. If very pitted, I've just soaked bolts in gear oil. I think that is the treatment for "black oxide" tools like impact sockets. I think they pit the surface with phosphoric acid then soak in thick oil. Aluminum anodizing is similar and can soak in dyes for color. Similar treatments to protect the steel in firearms. Wifey doesn't like the phosphoric acid smell, so only work in the laundry bathroom w/ vent.

I only use rust converters or removers on floor pans and light rust.
I've moved on to electrolysis rust removal for parts.
a little super washing soda in a container big enugh to submerge the part, rebar,wire and an old battery charger or power supply saves a lot of mess and headache.
You can't beat it for gas tanks. and you don't have to clean all of the rocks out.

-
Back