Evaporator temperature switch

-

71RALLYEDART

Reaction score
can a universal evaporator temp switch be used on a 71 dart with a new style compressor using r134a?

I don't know why not. The "if" would be finding out what the design temp should be, or maybe an industrial one. Cap tube, or tube and bulb temp controls of all kinds used to be very very available in the commercial HVAC/R industry, at least back before electronic sensors became more common.

The starting place, of course would be 32F. But airflow may allow that temp to be dropped somewhat

Make sure you get one "open on temp drop" That is, like the normal operation of a fridge / freezer control.

You mean an electrical switch, with gas tube stuck in the evaporator fins? The factory AC in my 1969 Dart only had the gas-tube expansion valve on engine bay side near firewall. Perhaps later cars had an e-switch at the evaporator (in climate box). My 1985 M-B has that, termed "anti-ice switch" which disables the compressor clutch. When it fails, it disables the compressor (how I found it). I found an almost identical used one, also made by Ranco, for a 1970's Chevy, with just one mounting hole off. You slide the gas tube inside a tube which routes it into the evaporator fins. I recall I was even clever enough to match the insertion depth to the old one. I later found several new ones on ebay cheap, so good for life. If to protect for ice, the refrigerant shouldn't matter. If the universal one looks like yours, "should work". The switch should go open if "too cold", which is likely set near 0 C.

-
Back