Ever wonder what denting headers for clearance actually costs you in performance?

-

64DartGTinAZ

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Check this out - based on this one dyno test, it appears we don't need to sweat 'clearance' dents when installing headers:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azPKIjxmmdU"]Exhaust Header Bash! Testing Power Loss From Dents - Engine Masters Ep. 4 - YouTube[/ame]

That was fun. Good info. The only thing I noticed was the rpm between the base pull and the others. The base was about 300-400 rpm less.

If that's the article (Steve Dulich/ Freiburger's Chev 383 at Westech,completely found it informative...) Great stuff... Used old headers,already built engine,what bias ?.....) Good read...

If that's the article (Steve Dulich/ Freiburger's Chev 383 at Westech,completely found it informative...) Great stuff... Used old headers,already built engine,what bias ?.....) Good read...

clear case of header tubes too big for that engine to start with !!

BULLSHIT!!!...a restriction is a restriction no matter how big or small,must be nice you take a set of $900.00 TTI's and smash the **** out of them:violent1::violent1: as far as having to dent headers to get them to fit..not if you buy the right ones..i was happy to see the the *** monkeys blow the doors off of their shitbox charger with the dart:D:D

This is great, these guys beat the snot out of headers and A body SB tti step headers come factory with a bashed tube in them. LMAO

The irony is thick here.

Those are 1.75 headers on that 383 Chevy, IIRC. Those are too big for a 560hp engine? HMMMMM

Lmao,Rob... Always leaves people, frothing at the mouth, lol....
Gawdxhelpthem,on N20......(and yes ,spelled that way, on purpose...)

This is great, these guys beat the snot out of headers and A body SB tti step headers come factory with a bashed tube in them.

Please do show a picture of those from the factory bashed pipes..i've owned 2 sets of TTI's not one EVER came bashed out of the box..

tti's have a tube that is flattened for clearance on SB step headers. I think even the 1 7/8" headers have the same clearancing. Go look with your own eyes and see the "restriction" those expensive headers have built right into them... according to some around here.

I'll patiently wait for the ridiculous response about it being done in a press, etc... cause that's what some love to do around here. Excuses and denial... LOL

tti's have a tube that is flattened for clearance on SB step headers. I think even the 1 7/8" headers have the same clearancing. Go look with your own eyes and see the "restriction" those expensive headers have built right into them... according to some around here.

I'll patiently wait for the ridiculous response about it being done in a press, etc... cause that's what some love to do around here. Excuses and denial... LOL

Alright they do have a slightly flattened section..NOT bashed in like you claim..by the way there are no excuses only reasons..what those morons did in the video is called BASHING:violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1:

... the stock 68 - 70 340 drivers' side head pipe was necked
down to 2" and literally flattened at the torsion bar right from
the factory.

Alright they do have a slightly flattened section..NOT bashed in like you claim..by the way there are no excuses only reasons..what those morons did in the video is called BASHING:violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1:

Those "morons" in the video just proved that bashing the header tubes does not effect horsepower as much as most would think. Did you watch the video? Or are you just that dumb you didn't comprehend what you watched? And to call them morons cracks me up, especially coming from you. :finga:

Those "morons" in the video just proved that bashing the header tubes does not effect horsepower as much as most would think. Did you watch the video? Or are you just that dumb you didn't comprehend what you watched? And to call them morons cracks me up, especially coming from you. :finga:

This.....

Someone fart???

Don't you know who he is? He's the smartest guy in the room just ask he'll tell you!! Now i wait for the Reeeeeeeeeee!!!! (Triggered response).

This is great, these guys beat the snot out of headers and A body SB tti step headers come factory with a bashed tube in them. LMAO

The irony is thick here.

Those are 1.75 headers on that 383 Chevy, IIRC. Those are too big for a 560hp engine? HMMMMM

I had 1 7/8'' on a hot 406 sbc , always felt I needed bigger-----------------------
A friend had 2 1/8'' on a smaller sbc , that runs low 8`s , looking to put it in the hi 7`s , (normally aspirated !!)

Its my belief that closing down a header tube that doesnt hurt performance , indicates the headers are plenty big enough for that set up , going from 1 5/8'' to 1 7/8'' helped the 406 I had quite a bit , indicating dents wouldn`t help it at all.

I had 1 7/8'' on a hot 406 sbc , always felt I needed bigger-----------------------
A friend had 2 1/8'' on a smaller sbc , that runs low 8`s , looking to put it in the hi 7`s , (normally aspirated !!)

Its my belief that closing down a header tube that doesnt hurt performance , indicates the headers are plenty big enough for that set up , going from 1 5/8'' to 1 7/8'' helped the 406 I had quite a bit , indicating dents wouldn`t help it at all.[Quote.
. LOL. Kim

-
Back