Ex manifold bolts

-

Nite Moves

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 73 318. Got it with no Exnaust manifolds. I have them now but no bolts with them. Anyone no the size of these? Special stamping on the heads? Ive got lots of bolts but need the right ones. Thanks

5/16" coarse threads. No idea the length. Trial and error until you find the right length. Make sure to get at least 1/2" of threads in.

What do you mean "special stampings on the heads"??

IIRC, the outside bolts are actually studs. Not necessarily required, but it lets you hang the manifold and lets the job go much easier.
Special stampings? I am guessing that you are asking whether to use grade 5 or grade 8 hardware... yes. Also, use some high temp (copper) anti seize on the threads.
Those studs on the ends, you probably won't find them in any grade 5 or 8.
C

IIRC, the outside bolts are actually studs. Not necessarily required, but it lets you hang the manifold and lets the job go much easier.
Special stampings? I am guessing that you are asking whether to use grade 5 or grade 8 hardware... yes. Also, use some high temp (copper) anti seize on the threads.
Those studs on the ends, you probably won't find them in any grade 5 or 8.
C
Yes grade sorry......Ive noticed markings on the flex plate bolts and others. Thats why i was asking.Thanks guys

You will need high temp sealer on the four outside bolts because they go into water jackets. That is why studs are a good idea for those locations.

since the end studs go into the water jacket, it is a lot cleaner to keep them as studs. If you use bolts, whenever you pull them out, you will get a puddle of water dripping out onto the floor.

since the end studs go into the water jacket, it is a lot cleaner to keep them as studs. If you use bolts, whenever you pull them out, you will get a puddle of water dripping out onto the floor.

What he said and it will be a huge puddle. I use permatex high temp RTV sealer on those threads. The one that comes in the bronze tube. Any good auto parts store will have it. Wipe hole and stud down with Brake Parts Cleaner to remove all oils before hand and you won't be leaking...

Just finished a 440, driver rear bolt leaking ( no stud would work with those TTI's). 1st try, Permatex hot; no good. 2nd try, teflon past, no good. 3rd try, permatex Right Stuff, worked, but that crap costs $17.

-
Back