Excessive Wheel Play

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
I have tried to tighten my steering by using the adjusting nut but there is still about 2 inches of play left or right of center. I feel this is to much slop for a power steering box so I am guessing a rebuild is necessary. My question is how bad is the rebuild? Any suggestions or is there any instructions maybe with pictures somewhere I can read? Should I rebuild or replace? I do have a small leak as well.

I have the same problem w/mine (manual gearbox)...tons of slop, tightened it as far as the adustments would go and got it to where it would go where I point it (though still sloppy) . But it leaks....I am opting to replace the unit vs rebuild. Just easier/quicker for me personally and will free up some time to fix other stuff! LOL

I hear you on the replace but for me the rebuild on the power steering is only 30 bucks where the gear box is 200 for me that is 170 more I could spend somewhere else. For me it comes down to the all mighty dollar.

By the way you still buried up there? I heard you got a sh*t ton of snow.

Get a factory service manual before you start.Or check out Mopar Action,they did a re build article a few years back.Supposedly,somebody,downloaded a buttload of factory manuals here,check the search feature.

I hear you on the replace but for me the rebuild on the power steering is only 30 bucks where the gear box is 200 for me that is 170 more I could spend somewhere else. For me it comes down to the all mighty dollar.

I hear you on the $$$ man. I went back and fourthon the re-build vs replace thoughts myself .... Nope, go into the 40's over the weekends and pretty much melted all the snow. They're talking about some accumulation tomorrow PM into Saturday AM...we'll see. I may be a good weekend to hole up in the garage and spin some wrenches.

Have a good one,
Pat

I find any night or weekend or day is good to spin wrenches. Turns out it is a great way to just relax for me.

I find any night or weekend or day is good to spin wrenches. Turns out it is a great way to just relax for me.

That is so true. Good luck with your gearbox rebuild. Hey if nothing else, you'll safe some cash AND relax at the same time!

A seal kit may be $30 but I doubt you can get the hard parts you need for that. If the box is worn out, a seal kit isn't going to do much good. Those boxes are not easy to get apart (without destroying them) and aren't for the faint of heart. Lots of tight clearences and good measuring tools needed. I would strongly recommend you save your pennies and buy a good rebuild.

-
Back