Exchange 3-speed manual for 904

-

Peter Ardell

Reaction score
Hi!

I want to swap the 3-speed manual transmission in my Dodge Dart 1963 wagon for a automatic one.

Questions:

1) Are they about the same length, or do I have to something with the driveshaft?
2) It's very important to keep the steering column shift arm (I am 6 feet 5) so no floor shifter in this car. What do I need? A hole new column or only shifting mechanism?
3) Is there any good shop manual for this car btw?

Kind regards /Peter

three speeds are the same length as a 904 automatic.

you need a ball and trunion automatic and it will directly swap over to the driveshaft.

In 63 your vehicle would have had a pushbutton panel for the automatic had it been ordered with an automatic to begin with. You can either locate and install the pushbutton set up from a 63 or 64 A body car OR use a 65 or 66 A body automatic steering column and linkage.

You may need a different carburetor....some of the ones made for a manually shifted cars did not have the arm necessary for your kick down linkage. Kickdown linkage is a MUST unless you tie the detent arm closed, failure to do so could cause the detent valve to open and you could kill the transmission.

All in all, not a hard swap if you can locate the parts. Finding either set up and getting it all to Sweden would be the hardest part, it's all bolt in from there.

Answers to my questions, and more! Excellent reply Rainy Day Auto, Thanks a lot!

Kind regards /Peter

Hi!

I want to swap the 3-speed manual transmission in my Dodge Dart 1963 wagon for a automatic one.

Questions:

1) Are they about the same length, or do I have to something with the driveshaft?
2) It's very important to keep the steering column shift arm (I am 6 feet 5) so no floor shifter in this car. What do I need? A hole new column or only shifting mechanism?
3) Is there any good shop manual for this car btw?

Kind regards /Peter
I'm in the process of swapping the slant/904 out of CUDAVRT and putting in a 273/ 4-speed. I have everything you would need. Too bad Sweden is so far away.
Stroker

I'm in the process of swapping the slant/904 out of CUDAVRT and putting in a 273/ 4-speed. I have everything you would need. Too bad Sweden is so far away.
Stroker

Gah...

A colleague on the same car magazine I write for lives in Sacramento. Not to far away from you, right? He sends cars and parts to Sweden every now and then. Can maybe arrange something with him?

Wants a 225, the 904 and steering columns linkage. And of course a Hyper-Pak Intake... ;-)

Kind regards /Peter

Gah...

A colleague on the same car magazine I write for lives in Sacramento. Not to far away from you, right? He sends cars and parts to Sweden every now and then. Can maybe arrange something with him?

Wants a 225, the 904 and steering columns linkage. And of course a Hyper-Pak Intake... ;-)

Kind regards /Peter
Peter-
My '64 convert did not have column shift linkage; it had the push button linkage on the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel. The dash would have to be modified (or replaced) to accommodate this setup. The pedal assembly from your car could probably be used, but the brake arm is different. I have this also, as the conversion is from a junk Barracuda. Speedometer cables will not swap as they are different than the manual cable at the transmission end.
I don't have a hyper-pack set up.
The trans works, but leaks fluid. I drove the car from the Chicago area with no problems other than leakage a year or so ago.

If you want any of this stuff, I will give it to you.
Sacramento is 150 miles away, no big deal!

I did some biz with an Aussie that had a container shipper in Long beach, right where i worked! I just dropped off the parts at the business address and the guy brought over a large bin on a forklift. I filled it with the 8 3/4 centers and off I went, too easy. Hopefully you can get the parts you need.

Peter-
My '64 convert did not have column shift linkage; it had the push button linkage on the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel. The dash would have to be modified (or replaced) to accommodate this setup. The pedal assembly from your car could probably be used, but the brake arm is different. I have this also, as the conversion is from a junk Barracuda. Speedometer cables will not swap as they are different than the manual cable at the transmission end.
I don't have a hyper-pack set up.
The trans works, but leaks fluid. I drove the car from the Chicago area with no problems other than leakage a year or so ago.

If you want any of this stuff, I will give it to you.
Sacramento is 150 miles away, no big deal!

I prefer the push button setup, so that's just a very nice bonus! Do you have the linkage/panel for that as well?

Tell me what you what for it, please. :)

Kind regards /Peter

I have a Dutra Hyperpak that I could bring to the Mopar Nationals in August.

Good to know! Thanks.

Look's like that Nat's it's worth a trip over the Atlantic sea, since I looking for some Mopar parts now.

My other car, a Nova from 1970, is such a bore, when it comes to parts. Almost everything is reproduced besides the bench seat up front.

-
Back