Exedy Frictions 727

-

Sleddogg

Reaction score
Good morning-

i am doing a mostly stock rebuild (except for Transgo TF-2 kit) on my small block 727 and went with the Transtar 22008c deluxe overhaul kit without realizing that they no longer come with Raybestos or Borg Warner frictions. It shipped with tan Exedy clutches. Any thoughts on these? I’ve never really heard of them. Should I just eat it and order the Raybestos frictions?

Thanks!

edit: Now that I looked at the kit on transend.us it states Exedy as the friction module included. The vendor I ordered from didn’t specify, and I made an assumption…that’s on me.

Last edited:
I would take them out and inspect them and see how they work. Last kit I helped install had them and the quality was good.

I would take them out and inspect them and see how they work. Last kit I helped install had them and the quality was good.

Thanks Garrett - After I posted this I found some talk on other manufacturer specific boards complaining about them not being flat, but I've checked these and they are all flat and true.

The ones I helped put in were in a Ford AOD but they actually worked pretty well all things considered.

I wonder why these plates are being used. Chrysler typically used Raybestos plates, and the 727 and the 46rh/re/47rh/re and the 48re also use them. One of two things come to mind, 1: price advantage for the supplier (ie cheaper plates than Raybestos or Borg Warner), of 2: Supply issues with Raybestos and Borg Warner.
When I had the 727 done in my Challenger, Raybestos only for me as Raybestos were used at the OEM level.

Retired from my transmission shop in 2019 after 41 years.Never heard of that plate.Raybestos was always my “go to” plate.Some customers requested Alto reds we used some with good success.In auto trans it’s all about the friction component. Red altos with black kolean steels make a good pack.

-
Back