Exhaust leak...

-

Nappa82

Reaction score
So I had a bad exhaust leak and decided I was going to replace the manifold gasket and the manifold studs. The leak was I thought coming from the gasket as it was torqued all wrong and the studs had been stripped and re-threaded.

The leak coming from the red arrow on this photo and you can see the black mark on the intake where I thought it was coming from. Placing your hand here you could feel it a lot.

20130122_1650093_zps0dccecfa.jpg

The gasket looked like this after taking it out. Aside from the water damage marked in red circles the arrow points to a burn spot I am sure was a leak.

20130124_220031_zpsb3e6bd14.jpg

After replacing the gasket I still have the leak in the same spot.

If anyone can think of anything please let me know. I am at a loss. Basically I worked on the studs and everything from 4pm-10pm and I'm tired and upset that I'm back right where i started.

did they look warped? i think machine chops can mill them down flat again but id dont know for sure.....maybey a remflex crush gasket? herd they work wonders but there one time tourqe i beleive so u gotta get it right the first time and there spendy. just my .02

Not sure exactly what year(s), they were, but 1 or 2 year slant six, had an open choke pocket, in the manifold. It was somewhere around 71 to 73, I believe. There is a cup that goes into the manifold, with a gasket under it, then the choke unit sits in the cup. Check to see if your manifold is that type. If the gasket or cup goes bad you have an exhaust leak. I don't think the cup or gasket is available any longer. You could probably make a new gasket, but the cup would be another story.
PS: All slant six manifolds will fit any engine or exhaust pipe, only the choke pockets are different between some years.

Here is the gasket I used, it looks and feels like led and much thicker
Look how much thinker it is by looking at the holes, This was
advised for me to use by members here I sprayed copper coat out of
a can on booth sides and I threw the other on away, I will allways use one if I ever do this again....

Attachments

• GEORGE%20RAYS%20GONE%20TO%20BE%20%20STRONG%20045.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 375
You can get the Aussie gasket here http://www.pentastarparts.com.au/store/ Took about 2 weeks before one showed up at my door, but when I ordered it their shop was surrounded by a brush fire and they were a little busy with hoses....

I was told that I can even reuse it grumpuscreature :cheers:
After 2 years of driving it has been perfect, and I had to place it under a spit manifold, witch if you remember was allot of fun :toothy9:

did they look warped? i think machine chops can mill them down flat again but id dont know for sure.....maybey a remflex crush gasket? herd they work wonders but there one time tourqe i beleive so u gotta get it right the first time and there spendy. just my .02

Nothing seemed warped. I looked at the surface as best I could and cleaned it up really good too.

Not sure exactly what year(s), they were, but 1 or 2 year slant six, had an open choke pocket, in the manifold. It was somewhere around 71 to 73, I believe. There is a cup that goes into the manifold, with a gasket under it, then the choke unit sits in the cup. Check to see if your manifold is that type. If the gasket or cup goes bad you have an exhaust leak. I don't think the cup or gasket is available any longer. You could probably make a new gasket, but the cup would be another story.
PS: All slant six manifolds will fit any engine or exhaust pipe, only the choke pockets are different between some years.

I think you may be on to something here. I will take it apart and look at it later tonight when I'm off work. Co worker also thinks the leak is coming from there.

You can get the Aussie gasket here http://www.pentastarparts.com.au/store/ Took about 2 weeks before one showed up at my door, but when I ordered it their shop was surrounded by a brush fire and they were a little busy with hoses....

Thank you for the link. Im going to order a few just to have on hand.

Here is the gasket I used, it looks and feels like led and much thicker
Look how much thinker it is by looking at the holes, This was
advised for me to use by members here I sprayed copper coat out of
a can on booth sides and I threw the other on away, I will allways use one if I ever do this again....

Memike Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to get a few of these.

Yeah I have a 71 and I have an open choke pocket. I bought a sheet of composite gasket material years ago that is basically the same material the aussie gaskets are made out of. It's held up for the last 6 years or so. I've even made the intake to exhaust gasket out of it and it worked just fine on a truck I had.

Nappa, check out this read for installation.

http://slantsix.org/articles/manifold-install/types-mounting.htm

Yeah I have a 71 and I have an open choke pocket. I bought a sheet of composite gasket material years ago that is basically the same material the aussie gaskets are made out of. It's held up for the last 6 years or so. I've even made the intake to exhaust gasket out of it and it worked just fine on a truck I had.

Nappa, check out this read for installation.

http://slantsix.org/articles/manifold-install/types-mounting.htm

Before you made the gasket was that area leaking? I'm trying to figure out where the leak is and cannot seem to find it before the exhaust and manifold get to hot to look haha.

If heat is a problem there is no reason you can't just apply pressure to the tailpipe and see where it comes out. Assuming no leaks in the pipes attach a regulated low pressure (5-6 psi) air hose to the tailpipe and seal it good. Now go to the engine bay and use a very bright flashlight with an incense stick and watch for the air leak to blow the smoke coming off of the incense. This is basically a variation on using a professional style smoke leak machine.

also check manifolds good for possible crack on underside

Will recheck manifold tomorrow. Also might try the incense thing. Thanks for the tips.

Choke pocket was the culprit for the leak. Is there a gasket that's supposed to be there? Because if there was it was ashes when I unscrewed it and lifted it off lol. I kinda cheated fixing it up..... I used the old exhaust gasket, cut out a hole bigger to fit the bowls underside, threw on some gasket sealer and wrenched the choke pocket back on. Poof leak gone.

Choke pocket was the culprit for the leak. Is there a gasket that's supposed to be there? Because if there was it was ashes when I unscrewed it and lifted it off lol. I kinda cheated fixing it up..... I used the old exhaust gasket, cut out a hole bigger to fit the bowls underside, threw on some gasket sealer and wrenched the choke pocket back on. Poof leak gone.

Yes, there is supposed to be a gasket, between the manifold and the "bowl". However, I don't think it is available, any longer. This "fix" you did should work fine.

-
Back