Exhaust manifold gaskets

-

70Duster340

Reaction score
What does everyone use for gaskets on their hi-po exhaust manifolds? I don't really like the header gaskets that are connected between the exhaust ports. I thought I had some of the Mahle MS12268 gaskets, which are the ones that have individual gaskets for the outer ports and one gasket for the inner ports. Just rummaged through my garage and can't locate any.
Thanks

I don't use exhaust gaskets on manifolds. If the surfaces are true, you don't need any. Ma Mopar never used them (unless you count the steel shims with the heat shields as gaskets, but they really aren't), and I don't either.

What does everyone use for gaskets on their hi-po exhaust manifolds? I don't really like the header gaskets that are connected between the exhaust ports. I thought I had some of the Mahle MS12268 gaskets, which are the ones that have individual gaskets for the outer ports and one gasket for the inner ports. Just rummaged through my garage and can't locate any.
Thanks
I forgot to mention that I'm running the Edelbrock heads, if that makes a difference.

I used a muti-layer copper gasket, but I'll be dammed if I can remember the brand name. :BangHead:
I like the idea of no gasket. Maybe if these ever fail, I will try it, but I do have Eddy heads on it though.

I used a muti-layer copper gasket, but I'll be dammed if I can remember the brand name. :BangHead:
I like the idea of no gasket. Maybe if these ever fail, I will try it, but I do have Eddy heads on it though.
Are you running manifolds or headers? The manifold on the driver's side hits the head where the exit port is on my Eddy heads, hence the need for the gasket. I have to use a header flange to space the manifold away from the head enough to get a seal on the manifold when torqued down. Do you possibly have a better approach to this issue? Edelbrock couldn't give me any ideas.

Are you running manifolds or headers? The manifold on the driver's side hits the head where the exit port is on my Eddy heads, hence the need for the gasket. I have to use a header flange to space the manifold away from the head enough to get a seal on the manifold when torqued down. Do you possibly have a better approach to this issue? Edelbrock couldn't give me any ideas.
I just use copper seal on the flange surfaces, but I haven't done it with aluminum heads. I also had the header flanges surface ground to ensure that they were true.
Member @Jim Kueneman did exactly this with his '66 Valiant- maybe he could chime in with what he did for gaskets between the manifold/header flange spacer/Eddy heads.

I just use copper seal on the flange surfaces, but I haven't done it with aluminum heads.
Member @Jim Kueneman did exactly this with his '66 Valiant- maybe he could chime in with what he did for gaskets between the manifold/header flange spacer/Eddy heads.

I just used Felpro gaskets on both sides of the header spacer.

I just used Felpro gaskets on both sides of the header spacer.

@Professor Fate that was a lie.... the plate to exhaust manifold is the Felpro. Plate to cylinder head is a used shim gasket that has the spark plug shields integrated into them for the early LA's I just clean it and run a tiny bead of high temp silicone around each opening. To date it is holding. I forgot I found at set of the shields.

i have used expanded graphite on a perforated steel shim 1.5 or 2mm thick
they use it for the "super heated steam" pipes in power generation
good enough for a nuclear power station good enough for my 6 cylinder combined inlet and exhaust gasket. :)

works well good compressibility and seals exceptionally well

but find a supplier who can cut it to your pattern... it will ruin your stanley knife

Dave

There are no gaskets made with this material? I've ordered 2 sets of Mahle MS12268 gaskets that are made with perforated metal. Wonder if it's the same material?

Manifolds. I used a 1/4 header spacer. Gasket both sides. Can't seem to find where I bought it.

if you don't like the look of the connections between the functional pieces of the gasket, install them and then cut the offending parts away. IMHO, I absolutely cannot imagine installing those manifolds on heads with nothing in between. Wouldn't any little imperfection in surface and alignment guarantee a leak? How much torque do you have to put on those fragile manifolds to get a real seal? Even the thin metal factory gaskets had a crush bead around the ports.

I agree with you. They might not have used gaskets at the factory, but there they had clean flat surfaces.
I've got 2 exhaust manifold gasket kits coming from Amazon that don't have those connections between the exhaust ports. They come in 1 piece, perforated between the exhaust gaskets. They're made with perforated metal. I've used them before and they did a good job at sealing.

I have only been able to get my headers to seal with Remflex gaskets. I also have studs instead of bolts, so I just cut the bottoms out of the gaskets bolt holes so I can just loosen the header nuts and drop the gasket in place.

I use gaskets between the heads and exhaust manifolds. Can’t think of a good reason not to.

I used Felpro on my stock manifolds. It's a 318 so got them for the 273/318. I would never go bare manifolds to head. Tighten the bolts and nuts evenly, or torque them.

There are no gaskets made with this material? I've ordered 2 sets of Mahle MS12268 gaskets that are made with perforated metal. Wonder if it's the same material?

a quick check, and remflex gaskets are pre cut perforated steel shim graphite gaskets..

Perfect.... for head to header
if you just need rings of the stuff see below

I had not heard of them being UK based but sounds like the stuff i got mine made from

due to little support for my engine i had to get a sheet cut

here is a US supplier of sheet and ring gaskets for sealing pipe flanges

Graphite Gasket Manufacture - Wide Range of Materials | Dobson Gaskets

-
Back