Exhaust options?

-

jimbo

Reaction score
67 Barracuda, .030,383. What other options do I have for exhaust besides Shoemakers? I'd like to see this car on the road before I pass on. 22 years is long enough.

67 Barracuda, .030,383. What other options do I have for exhaust besides Shoemakers? I'd like to see this car on the road before I pass on. 22 years is long enough.

Considering the price of Schumachers you can get a REAL header for about the same money , look at MADDOG headers , they have an under chassis header , they list it as a 2" tube but they will special make 1 7/8 for the same money , you want it with a 3.5" collector .

If the 383 has a mild cam go with B-body HP manifolds. You may have to trim the outer sleeve of the steering column up to the firewall.

I vote schumachers, you can put them in with the engine in it's mounts and don't capture the starter, you can even change plugs. I run them on a hopped up 383 with no complaints.

Terry

Jim (Lusk), I have the same setup . . . previous owner has 3751068 and 3751074 manifolds (400?) installed (no exhaust) on my 383. Looks like he "modified" the steering to make them fit. My question is do you think these manifolds are best manifolds for my application? It would be helpful to know if they are before I fight the installation of the down pipes. Thanx Rog

I know that I'm giving up some HP with the schumacher's, but they go on so easily, give you a ton of clearance to the road, and because of the nice thick flanges, no sign of leaking. With a 383 or 400, until you decide to make a serious amount of hp, the schu's are your best bet.

I believe those are the late HP (at least the driver side). Pics would help to fully determine.

i have the schumacher headers (not installed yet), they aren't that expensive vs. the cost of finding OEM a-body manifolds or other factory manifolds + clean & paint.

for a mild motor, they are arguably your best option seeing as the motor is already in the car.

I know that I'm giving up some HP with the schumacher's, but they go on so easily, give you a ton of clearance to the road, and because of the nice thick flanges, no sign of leaking. With a 383 or 400, until you decide to make a serious amount of hp, the schu's are your best bet.

unless yer over 500 hp you aint gunna lose a thing with shumachers,,they can easily handle the flow to that range. Most of us are close to or under that so why spend the same money for full size headers just to cause you unlimited grief for the life time of the car,,,,I dunno,,,, but seems easy to me,,over 550 hp go big and ugly,,,,under that keep it clean and neat,,,,hope i never offended anyone!!,,I guess in short I totally agree with Don

here,s the shu's,, I went unfinished until I break in the cam,,, then I'll coat them

025 (2).JPG

028 (2).JPG

Fenderwell-hooker Super Comps 2''tubes--3.5'' Collectors Works For Me In 71 440 Dart---also Have A Set For Sale--send E-mail Address For Pics..... Ken In Joplin Mo 64804

BTW the driver side does trap the stock starter, I bought a set new last year. Sold them off. The fenderwells sound like a better bet.

BTW the driver side does trap the stock starter, I bought a set new last year. Sold them off. The fenderwells sound like a better bet.

That's one of the advantages to the mini starter, they don't care what headers ya run. Sorry, I just naturally assumed you were running the mini.

Terry

i have the schumacher headers (not installed yet), they aren't that expensive vs. the cost of finding OEM a-body manifolds or other factory manifolds + clean & paint.

for a mild motor, they are arguably your best option seeing as the motor is already in the car.

I'm having a hard time selling HP manifolds for $550 a set .

if your talking about C-Body HP manifolds.. then thats a hellava deal.
cheers

I've got a pair of C body HP manifolds $I'll sell for $550 , you buying ???

Schumachers are the header to use for a street car.

Car runs 12.20's off the juice.11.50's 100hp of nos.On Schumachers
IMGP0513.jpg

IMGP0481.jpg

How hard would it be to alter the firewall on the driver side? A little grind-grind, weld-weld to create a depeession in the firewall. That way I can use the HP manifolds. :dontknow:

-
Back