Exhaust Question - Challenge!!

-

ABCuda

Reaction score
Here is a question for the community....see if anyone has any specific feedback that might solve a problem I am dealing with......Exhaust Problem.

Installed a set of TTI headers on my 1969 Barracuda.

Problem - The 3rd pipe back on the drivers side hangs up just a bit on the power steering box. It suspends the motor mount insulator about a 1/8 of an inch or less.

Keep in mind that I have no history with this car and I purchased it with assembly required.

Parts of the equation = 1971 Block, Not sure if original motor mounts

Problem occurs when the insulator dimple is in correct position. If I loosen the insulator and shift it forward of the motor mount so the dimple is not lined up correctly the headers drop into place.....

Does anyone have pictures of what a pair of 340 motor mounts look like?

Rookie question, any difference in where the mounting ears are on the 1971 Block?

At one point I had the motor mount installed forward of the ears and that worked as well, it moved the motor back the width of the driver engine mount ears. I tweaked that solution back and now can't get the mount back to the foward position (probably is not supposed to go there any way)

So, possibly wrong motor mounts? Any other suggestions???

I have some work arounds but I would love for this thing to sit in the correct place....

Any feedback would be appreciated......

Shims under the motor mounts.

I could be wrong but doesn't the motor mount brackets belong in front of the ears cast on the block ? Like this...

Attachments

• 273 rh engine mount.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 185
Shims would work.......

Redfish, if your motor mount is like mine then the two ear'd side of the mount is the front of the motor.....if that is correct then that actually worked for me. It does not fit easily when there. Also, a local guy here has a 340 matching number 69 and his mounts are to the back of the ears (not what you are showing or what seems to work) on his car.....he has original manifolds, perhaps more tolerance with the manifolds.....

I will try moving my motor mounts again....

If anyone has a picture of a 340 driver side motor mount that would be great.....top view, side view.........

That's a pic is someone elses 273. I assumed they all went the same way.
Both left and right mounts need to correct though. If the fab isn't square qith thew radiator to drive line wont be correct. The trans support would be in a bind if it would even bolt up and the front U joint would fail early.

Shims would work.......

Redfish, if your motor mount is like mine then the two ear'd side of the mount is the front of the motor.....if that is correct then that actually worked for me. It does not fit easily when there. Also, a local guy here has a 340 matching number 69 and his mounts are to the back of the ears (not what you are showing or what seems to work) on his car.....he has original manifolds, perhaps more tolerance with the manifolds.....

I will try moving my motor mounts again....

If anyone has a picture of a 340 driver side motor mount that would be great.....top view, side view.........

I used thicker insulators biscuits on my 67 cuda with TTI and that solved the problem for me. You can get them off Summit Racing for like $6 a pc.

Good input.......

Mullinax, I love it, a 12$ solution????? my wife will love and hate me! Just opened a 6000$ credit card statement......had to beg for forgiveness (even though I seem to be the one at work all the time!) Outside of tires, shocks, chrome work, front end allignment, a replacement LH grille, I am almost done.........anyone got an extra garage bay and a couch I can CRASH on ?????

Good input.......

opened a 6000$ credit card statement......chrome work, front end allignment, a replacement LH grille, I am almost done.........anyone got an extra garage bay and a couch I can CRASH on ?????

If you have a hard time finding them I might can find them for ya. A fellow member had the same the problem and he bought them. Told me later that it worked for him

had to beg for forgiveness (even though I seem to be the one at work all the time!)

I USED to know that feeling. Then I finally had enough I made her move out of MY house. I was married to her too.... judge saw who worked and did everything.

If you can point me (and Duster360) to the riight place or provide a Part number that would be great......That might be a potential solution.

Appreciate it!

-
Back