Exhaust question?

-

GoldDuster340

Reaction score
I need to purchase a complete exhaust system from my 72 340 duster, i have hooker street comp headers. So I will need collectors to the repo chrome tips.
I have seen the full mandrel bent summit kit on ebay for $220 any good?
If anyone has some recent experience or similar, please let me in on a few tips? before i buy something. I'm thinking 2 to 2.5 inch in diameter.
Stainless or regular steel pipes?

Thanks

I got the jegs kit, which is probably like the summit kit, and it went together easy enough. I am happy with the way it turned out

Cool thanks for reply.

Did you use the 2.5 diameter kit with headers? how loud is it and do you get any drone?

thanks

About 2 year ago did the same thing 71 Demon 340 header back to tips took it to the local shop he make all new 2.5 in stainless pipes with diamax mufflers had a small problem where the pipe went between the spring an fuel tank moved the stock tip hanger (turn it around) make the pipes a little wider comming out the back no one noticed. all is well except the repop tips from year one (JUNK) the car is louds out the back but with floor inst. great inside you can hear the radio and when you are talking. get a lot of comments about how good the car sounds cost was $300

The jegs kit was 2.5 inch, used hooker headers, and came with turbo mufflers, and since i'm young and stupid, i thought it was too quiet so i got some louder (straight through) mufflers. cant remember the name though

I removed a summit kit that was installed by the previous owner. It required 16 clamps! Too many peices. I ordered a complete aluminized exhaust system for my 69 340 Dart from Antique Exhaust Systems. They are online. The system sounds great and fits well with one exception. They didn't make the L/H down tube quite right. They bent the tube to close to the flange and the pipe interfered with the starter. I cut it off and welded the previous down tube. If you don't weld, the system can be installed with 6 clamps. 4 Clamps an muffler joints and 2 at tailpipe tips. I used 4 clamps total. Two at the muffler/tailpipe joint, and two at the tailpipe/tips. They are expensive, about $550.

IDK if I'm in those links above, but I used the Jegs kit with my Hooker Comps and the 2-1/2 exhaust pipes fit preety darn good while being quite enuff at cruise to drive for hours without issue. Loud, but not over bearing when you hit the gas. IMO, it was very well worth the price. Easy to instal with only a small trim at the tailpipes for evening out the tail pipe ends.

Get it new from Jegs.

Well Installed my 2.5 exhaust from Summit, this exhaust was made for hooker competition head and that's what I have.

The good :)
the drivers side went in fairly easy i was actually surprised how well it went in all though i had to trim an inch off the pipe around the rear end coming out of the muffler for clearance.

The bad :-(
They obviously designed this for automatic cars cause the reverse shifter linkage hits the pipe so i had to put a small dent in it.
The passenger side well is a different story i had to pretty much trim and custom fit every pipe and took me quite a while but got it done.

I'm going to take the car to a friends shop and weld where most of the clamps are there are allot of clamps 12 actually i will just leave the ones on the muffler and trim the tail pipes to fit my factory chrome tips.

Just wanted to let anyone who is planning on doing this what to expect.
the kit was about $220
most local shops wanted 400 to 600 to do the exhaust

I removed a summit kit that was installed by the previous owner. It required 16 clamps! Too many peices. .

I just installed the 2.5" Summit kit and there were only 12 joints you could put clamps on and that is what they supplied. The reason for all the joints is so it could be shipped in a small enough box so as to avoid over size shipping charges, a good thing in my book.

I used two band clamps where the pipes go into the mufflers (easier to drop the front half if I need to remove the tranny) and two standard clamps to attach the system to the hangers at the back of the mufflers. I welded the rest together. I also put in the Summit X-pipe. The mufflers supplied with the kit are turbos. These are quieter and have a smoother tone at idle and cruise than the 50 series deltaflo Flowmasters I took off. I liked the Flowmasters sound and was prepared to put them back on but figured I would give the turbo's a try. I really enjoy the quieter ride at cruise and the turbos are staying put.

For $200 there isn't a better deal out there.

I just installed the 2.5" Summit kit and there were only 12 joints you could put clamps on and that is what they supplied. The reason for all the joints is so it could be shipped in a small enough box so as to avoid over size shipping charges, a good thing in my book.

I used two band clamps where the pipes go into the mufflers (easier to drop the front half if I need to remove the tranny) and two standard clamps to attach the system to the hangers at the back of the mufflers. I welded the rest together. I also put in the Summit X-pipe. The mufflers supplied with the kit are turbos. These are quieter and have a smoother tone at idle and cruise than the 50 series deltaflo Flowmasters I took off. I liked the Flowmasters sound and was prepared to put them back on but figured I would give the turbo's a try. I really enjoy the quieter ride at cruise and the turbos are staying put.

For $200 there isn't a better deal out there.

I would purchace it again and yes it has only 12 clamps for shipping reason only thing i will do differnt next time is do it on a hoist LOL!!

Hey I'm new here but thought I would add to this discussion. I had a different problem. I have a 318 ci in a B body and wanted to have dual exhaust. I found a pair of HiPo 340 exhaust manifolds. TTI makes a bolt on kit for these manifolds (I got 2.5" ones). I had to change the oil filter to the 90 degree rotated one and from the mufflers back, I got TTI's B body exhaust pipe kit. You want believe how easy this TTI stuff bolts together and every thing fits perfect. It is expensive, but looks and works great.
Now my only problem is that I am taking my car back to original and taking off all the extras I've added.

-
Back