Exhaust questions, Heat riser, paint

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Going to reuse stock manifolds on my 273. Should I remove the heat riser, it was stuck shut, I was able to get it open, the bushing is turning with the shaft, have removed the valve, shaft and all and tapped the manifold and just put short bolts on a 318 manifold, but would like to keep the counterwieght or whatever it is, could a I just remove the flap and then just put a couple tack welds on the shaft (inside the manifold) to keep the shaft from working out? or would I want to?
For those who have used the Eastwood high heat paint, how long after painting do you have to cure it?
Are reproduction heat shields for the drivers side manifold available for the 273.
Thanks

If your heat riser doesn't work and you don't care if it does I would be tempted to cut off the rod and the valve inside the manifold and weld the stub in place to plug the hole but still leave the weight and springs for looks on the outside. My valve works and I have a new thermostat spring so I will use it as long as it works. I tried the Eastwood paint and it works well but the brush on streaks easily so I would reccomend the spray. I read on the can about curing but It doesn't say that it needs to be cured any particular time. Let it dry overnight and the manifold can be installed then run for 20 min. to cure. I may order a spray can and give it another coat a day or so before I install them. There are heat shields listed for the 340's. Although they might not be 100% correct
they would be better than nothing.http://www.hawkinsspeedshop.com/categories/mopar-performance-parts/products/product-1277.html

100_5212.jpg

100_5213.jpg

-
Back