Exhaust smell in cab

-

CaptRon

Reaction score
So as the title says, I have a lot of exhaust odor in the cab when I drive my 66 GT. I'm pretty sure there's no exhaust leak. So barring that what could I do to try to reduce or better yet eliminate that? What about installing a PCV valve? I'd like to drive her to work from time to time but smelling of oil, gas or exhaust does not bode well when working in an office full of women. ;-)
Thanks for your help

If the hood to cowl seal is faulty, vapors from engine bay enter through the cowl venting. Of course a pcv valve would consume much of the crackcase vapors that exit your breather cap into the engine bay. Anyway... all around the firewall and cowl area are where to look.

Exhaust doesn't come from under the hood if there isn't an exhaust leak, but gas smell could.
If it is actually exhaust and everything back there is sealed up and any holes are plugged you may very well want to move the outlet to a different place.
A moving car creates a vacuum behind it and if the exhaust is in that vacuum area it can suck it in through a bad trunk seal, missing body plugs or any other open spot in the rear of the car.

Of course it could be running rich as hell also, and that'll do it.

As mentioned...TRUNK SEAL...You may have to double layer...I had the same issue with my '66 Barracuda

My 65 was the same way when i got it. 2 probloms I found were trunk seal & the centrr trim between the tail lites (GT model's) was installed upside down. That caused the tail lite assemblies to have a 3/8 gap between the body and the tail lamp bucket. Adjusted trunk lid & installed center trim correctly & problom was solved! Any gaps along the trunk or above tail pipe will get sucked in the cab when driving down the road.

-
Back