Exhaust smell

-

gtxdude

Reaction score
I get exhaust smell in car with the top up (64 Valiant) trying to track it down. I don't believe there are flange gaskets were the exhaust manifold bolts to pipes. I'm running 1964 exhaust manifolds off of 273 does anyone know what size exhaust flanges I would need? 2 1/4 of 2 1/2 maybe? Better yet do you have a part number that I could use?

It could be a bad rubber trunk seal. You can see how the exhaust follows up the rear trunk lid when it is cool outside.

Could be coming in the top, too. I remember a friend, now gone, had about a 59-60 Buick 'vert. You could NOT run around with the windows up, that thing would gas ya right in the back/ rear sides? of the leaky ragtop

It could be a bad rubber trunk seal. You can see how the exhaust follows up the rear trunk lid when it is cool outside.
i would go looking at the trunk 1st then the top oh and make sure all the drain plugs are in ur car to i had the one in the spare tire spot fall out and i was getting it for there 2 good luck keep us posted

I'll check em all, winters around the corner so I should have plenty of time. thanks everyone!

I will lay oddssss on the trunk seal,now this goes way back to the worst body job ever thread for me,why well when the body man installed my trunk lid back on he did not have it adjusted right now with the stripe I am stuck.I had exhaust coming in the trunk via the seal.I went inside the trunk shut the lid down and lots of sunlight in the 2 lower back corners.Until ,and i don't want to but maybe install some thicker foam along those areas,for now I shove rags in to help real bummer:wack::wack::wack::wack::wack::wack::wack::wack::wack::wack::wack::wack::wack::wack::wack::wack::wack::wack::wack::wack::wack::wack::wack:

-
Back