Exhaust smoke.

-

Roadart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just noticed light exhaust ..smoke comming off the left bank(left exhaust pipe)It is in a 72 dart,318,4bbl ,headers. Engine was rebuilt about 4 years ago. The right side has no sign of smoke. Ideas???

Black or grey is fuel, very light blue is oil, white is water or coolant. Maybe throw us a bone since we can't see it?

1. I would say light/white.
A lot of people mistake oil smoke (light blue) for white. Tell me this.....does the smoke dissipate almost instantly or does is hang out for a little bit?

You can smell the difference between oil and coolant. Where does the drip land under the car?

The smoke stays for a bit(10/15 seconds). I did not smell anything when i put it in the shop(walking into the smoke).

Does it have coolant?

Pull a few plugs and that will give you a better idea..

The smoke stays for a bit(10/15 seconds). I did not smell anything when i put it in the shop(walking into the smoke).
Then that's oil and it's very likely light blue. Steam from burned coolant will dissipate almost immediately.

It does have coolant. It has an intake manifold leak i plan to fix soon,but it has coolant to the radiator top.

The last vehicle I owned that had an intake leak had an extremely noticeable miss.

The intake leak is in the front over the timing chain cover. Where the silicone or what was used is leaking.

Thanks for the help. Have the winter season to dig into it.
I'm unsure I would. Does the smoke clear up once it runs? Also does it smoke every single time or does it only do it on initial startup after sitting for a bit?

i noticed it when i was opening the door to my shop. Was returning from a car show that was about 15 miles away(so car was warmed up, running normal temp.)I put it in the shop to check trans. fluid(it is a 904). The smoke did not run me out. This is the first time i saw the smoke. When i started it this morning it seemed fine(no smoke) I am used to start up smoke that disipates almost immediatly.

i noticed it when i was opening the door to my shop. Was returning from a car show that was about 15 miles away(so car was warmed up, running normal temp.)I put it in the shop to check trans. fluid(it is a 904). The smoke did not run me out. This is the first time i saw the smoke. When i started it this morning it seemed fine(no smoke) I am used to start up smoke that disipates almost immediatly.

Does the smoke get worse at idle and high vacuum? If so that’s usually valve seals/guides. If it does it under load, that’s usually rings. If it does it all the time…that’s a bit of a poop sandwhich.

Does the smoke get worse at idle and high vacuum? If so that’s usually valve seals/guides. If it does it under load, that’s usually rings. If it does it all the time…that’s a bit of a poop sandwhich.
I've never had a poop sammich. I've always said my wife, Kitty is such a good cook that if someone could make poop taste good, it'd be here, but I've never taken the plunge. What all do you eat on a poop sammich? Inquirin minds and all that.

I've never had a poop sammich. I've always said my wife, Kitty is such a good cook that if someone could make poop taste good, it'd be here, but I've never taken the plunge. What all do you eat on a poop sammich? Inquirin minds and all that.

I avoid the poop sandwich at ALL costs.

POOP SAMMICH! :rofl:

But, how's about running a compression test and posting your results back? If it happens to be a head gasket or other coolant leak, you'll possibly have positive pressure in the cooling system after running it and letting it cool back off.

Just noticed light exhaust ..smoke comming off the left bank(left exhaust pipe)It is in a 72 dart,318,4bbl ,headers. Engine was rebuilt about 4 years ago. The right side has no sign of smoke. Ideas???

We had a couple of cars that had a valve cover leaking and it would soak into the exhaust manifold gaskets.

Those would smoke for about 5 minutes until it burned the oil out, then clear up.

A-56 asked about plugs. I pulled #1,3,5,7. #1&3 are pink,#5 is light tan #7 The porclyn tip is white,but pulg is also wet(i believe oil)

Is there a brake booster hose connected to a runner going to the left side? If so, white smoke can come from brake fluid leaking past the m/cyl seal.

-
Back