Exhaust stud removal help.. see pic

-

73dartneedswork

Reaction score
I need to preface this story with “I’m a total rookie when it comes to working on cars.” I put headers on my Dart and the drivers side rear was leaking real bad. I lived with it for a couple of weeks, but I couldn’t stand the noise any longer so I decided to fix it today. When I pulled the headers back I noticed a little stud that the flange of the header was hitting (see pics below). I can not believe I didn’t notice it when I installed them. What is this stud for? I assume I can remove it. Is a hacksaw blade the best way? There is no room to maneuver the header that much.
Thanks,
Kris

Attachments

• 140_0491.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 119
  • 140_0492.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 140
It looks like a smog fitting on a mid 80's head. If you cut the stud, it may leak. Is there those studs below each exhaust port?

those are holes for emissions, there is one for each cylinder and when installing headers the get plugged,normally with allen set screws and loctite.they need to be flush or below the surface or will cause a header gasket to leak.you can grind them down carefully to alleviate the problem,hope this was helpful......Wagg's

-
Back