Exhaust vs power-steering

-
I got an E-mail from Borgeson today, they said the new quick ratio power steering boxes should be ready to ship out next week.

I got an E-mail from Borgeson today, they said the new quick ratio power steering boxes should be ready to ship out next week.

Keep us updated...

On another note, I just finished welding my headers that fit around the factory power steering.

This is what I ended up with. Clearance is minimal, down to 1/4" in some places. Still debating whether I should coat these or what to try to keep the heat away from the steering box.

#3 was the tightest off the flange. I had to get the primary tube almost parallel with the flange immediately, so the bend isn't ideal. It's so close I couldn't weld the underside of the pipe close to the flange port- I had to weld at the bottom of the flange.

Obviously the k member is dropped slightly so I could get the pic. Also, this is a 73+ spool mount k, and I'm not sure if a biscuit mount will allow enough room for the #1 primary.

On another note, I found an AC compressor that fits with a little trimming work (doesn't mount to factory bolt location, but pretty much where the factory compressor sits). I'll post that up on another thread at some point.

b032230c.jpg

Here was the first rendition, which wrapped around the underside of the steering box. I re-did it as above so as to make things easier on install.

0f8318f3.jpg

I'm not sure what clearances I'm looking at here, being measured in an enginestand and such, but I know the engine will never sit that far and high away from the steeringbox in a normal A-body driver.

From the pics I've seen sofar the steeringbox sits at 1.5" away from the heads at certain places. And that's WITHOUT the exhaust mounted.
In your pic the box is well over 4-5" away from the head.

What kind of setup are we seeing here?

I'm not sure what clearances I'm looking at here, being measured in an enginestand and such, but I know the engine will never sit that far and high away from the steeringbox in a normal A-body driver.

From the pics I've seen sofar the steeringbox sits at 1.5" away from the heads at certain places. And that's WITHOUT the exhaust mounted.
In your pic the box is well over 4-5" away from the head.

What kind of setup are we seeing here?

The K member is indeed dropped down 4-5" on this side only so I could get pictures. Because I left the other side connected, where the header sits in relation to the steering box is exact. You can see the spool mount and get an idea of how far down it is.

I didn't take pictures with the k member bolted in place. I'll do that when I can.

Here's a link to my pictures I took without headers.
http://www.3gduster.com/Hemi-Exhaust-vs-Power-Steering.html

Ah, no worries. Now it makes sense. I didn't recognise your username at first.
Those where the pics I've seen before indeed.
Nice work.

Hey, why not change your username to 3gDuster? :D

What sort of steering box do you have and what size front tires are you running? Can you turn the wheel standing still with reasonable effort?

Not sure of the ratio on my manual box but the 205/70-15 tires easily turn when the car is stationary. I keep the tire pressure at 35 PSI. Never feels like it is hard to turn.

Would be nice if someone who has a power steeringbox laying around could make some measurements.
I will at least try to get some specs on my Dart tonight.

Would be nice if someone who has a power steeringbox laying around could make some measurements.
I will at least try to get some specs on my Dart tonight.

Ask and you shall receive! :)

BorgesonMeasurements.jpg

Unfortunately, the shape is different enough that some corners on the factory box do not exist on the Borgeson, and vice versa. I don't think I'll be able to tell how this box fits next to a hemi unless I've got it bolted to my K frame sitting next to it.

Thanks!
Looking at pics of a stock PS-box and comparing the mounting holes, I get the feeling the crossshaft on the Borgeson box wil end up slightly lower entirely aswell.

Thanks!
Looking at pics of a stock PS-box and comparing the mounting holes, I get the feeling the crossshaft on the Borgeson box wil end up slightly lower entirely aswell.

That would be very beneficial to us. BIG TIME

-
Back