Exhaust vs power-steering

-
Remember that mopars have the engine offset to begin with, so the driveline wouldn't be an issue, but there are exceptions. I bet if you got a set of headers that were plain and cut the #1 tube and re-routed it, it could work just fine.

Don't know, if re-routing the number 1 tube was all it would take to have power steering, i think TTI would have done it.

From the photos I've seen the exhaust ports #3 and #5 are right on top of power steering box with less than 2" between the port and the box. Considering you can't even fit the 5.7L Hemi log manifold from a Cherokee in the space, it is VERY tight.

I'll have to check my photos again.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

#3 is the tight one. And I plan on giving it a go when I have time. #1 is next worst, and #5 is 3rd.

Sorry fellas, I was thinking b body and had that picture in my head...my bad!!

The biggest problem with the Gen III swap header is they are all designed around the starter being in the old location, on the drivers side. The new hemis all have the starters on the passenger side. I think the header builders need to make some for passenger side starter location instead of the sacrifice the PS to clear the starter bs. I have a Gen III Hemi to 6spd bellhousing that nobody wants because of the passenger side starter location!!!!

Trucks are on the drivers side.

Huh? Is the engine allready offset in A-bodies??

I've had that car for over 8 years now and never realized! Well, you learn as you live! :)

But anyway, if the engine is offset from the factory, I think it is fair to assume things were designed to work that way, but will that still be the case with even more offset?

No, I don't want headers.. He memory of installing headers on my current 318 is stil fresh in my mind, and doing an excersise like that with even less space available so tunrs me off! And with the ample output from the new HEMI, I can't really see the point, 340-370 HP in stock should be more than enough for me annyway! :)

As long as there is a couple of inches, or just under, in the tightest spot, that should ber good enough. Looking at most stock manifolds I've seen, you have the wall-thickness that comes from the casting, and obviously they were not made convoluted than they had to be with the space available in the original veichle. The shape required to clear the exhaust past the PS box in an A-body will require some complicated geometry which can't possibly be economic to mass-produce, but for us amateurs, we can make as many cuts, serctions, and bends as we like to! :)

Looking at any headers I've seen, from the cheapo stuff to TTI's they all consist of sections and geometry that can be made with standard tube bending techniques, the expensive ones having more bends and better precision, but nothing close to custom turbo-manifolds TIG-welded up from steel tubing and bends. ,

Uhcoog1, seems like you are considering giving the HEMI-powersteeering combo a try?
If that is the case, I will follow your progress closely with great interrest, and so will others I guess! :)

I say if there is a will there is a way! If someone is able to make a set of exhaust manifolds that will work with power steering, that person will be a GOD!!!

Thats the reason I brought up the starter issue, I think that would be a key to making it work. Problem is then none of the passenger side tried and true setups would work because then the starter would be in the way lol! I think someone would be well admired if they went a little outside the box and did it that way... Has anyone tried a set of Durango/Aspen driverside manifolds to see if they clear the PS? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-07-DOD...ies&hash=item19c95c654a&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1180

The key problem with power steering and the modern hemi is that the power steering box is simply too big.

The simplest solution is a smaller power steering box. It appear as though a smaller power steering box MAY be on the way courtesy of Borgeson.

It has the added benefit of being a 14:1 box, I suppose that would be great for auto crossing.

I emailed Borgeson to ask about a dimensioned drawing so I could compare their new box, they confirmed that their box was smaller than the factory Mopar power steering box, but could not supply me with a dimensioned drawing. GRRR.

Here's a link to the new box. http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=143

Big downside, the box is $749.00, considering a Flaming River manual box are now $559.00, it's not THAT bad.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

The Borgeson unit definitely looks promising. Seems a bit odd they wouldn't give you dimensions. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Who knows, they are not shipping the units until may, chances are the flunky who responded to my email, probably didn't have access to dimensioned drawings in a jpeg or pdf format.

Also since they are not shipping yet, they may not have finalized the actual product.

The thing I'm worried about is someone might simply have to buy one of the boxes and simply try. A drawing is one thing but a physical product is probably the only way we'll know for sure.

Wonder what Borgeson's return policy is?

Regards,

Joe Dokes

That's really interesting! I might have to look into that some more.

I sent an E-mail about dimensions too, maybe if they get enough of us bothering them about it they will take time to respond with dimensions :D

And just think I was going to do the Rack -n-pinion conversion using a GTO rack...

Wow that Borgeson box is much smaller. How bad could it be compared to the Chrysler slop box. I am going to order one straight away. I am pumped.

And just think I was going to do the Rack -n-pinion conversion using a GTO rack...

Wow that Borgeson box is much smaller. How bad could it be compared to the Chrysler slop box. I am going to order one straight away. I am pumped.

Pics, pics, pics, let us know how it works, I know that there are A LOT of guys who'd like to have power steering.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Pics, pics, pics, let us know how it works, I know that there are A LOT of guys who'd like to have power steering.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I will do a build up this summer on my car (post the pics). I am just getting parts and time set aside to make it happen. Very close....

Wow... Had I only known about that before... Well, the firm-feel PS box is bought and installed...

Superelbert,

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Firm Feel box, the only reason, we're all so jazzed is that the Borgeson box, might be small enough to allow power steering with the Modern 5.7L, 6.1L Hemi.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

True, I'm ver7y happy with my firm-feel box! But then again, that's with the stock 318 in place! :) But I'm still convinced it's possible to fab up a manifold come the day when a Hemi goes in..

I switched to manual steering about a year ago from a FF stageII box and never looked back. Even with my small di tuff wheel it's not to shabby, I also drive my dart all year round.

I say go for the hemi and the manual steering and enjoy!

-
Back