Exhaust

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
What is the difference of Aluminized steel and stainless steel in an exhaust system. I know stainless is going to be better, but with the price difference, I just wondered what the real difference may be as long as durability.
thanks

An anluminized system will last many years as in decade+ in a fair weather car. The stainless will last longer. Something else to be considered is look. How will it looks. The stainless wil look better over time.

Are we talking 304 or 409 stainless. 304 will last forever.

Not sure. Will be a garage car, except for car shows and nice days. Most people will only see the resonator from the rear I would think. It's not a show car, more of a driver.
Thanks for the info.

aluminized steel is a surface treatment done by the steel producer. it is dipped or sprayed on regular hot rolled steel and bonds to the surface- not bad but not part of the original steel formula more of a coating where stainless is the composition of the steel elements when it is smelted down to a liquid the percentage of elements that make it stainless is mixed throughout the steel - definitely better

Who makes replacement stainless steel exhaust systems for A-bodies that are the same size as OEM. I see that Waldron's lists systems for Mopars.....anybody heard news good or bad about them?

http://waldronexhaust.com/

I read through the Waldron site. They produce a Duster stainless system with 14 gauge T409. Is that suitable SS for exhaust components?

I am talking to them now. 5 Week for delivery, but prices I was quoted are good.
1965 Barracuda Formula S hy po exhaust.
Aluminized steel 580. includes resonator
Stainless Steel 730.
Doesn't include clamps or hangers or shipping.
I am waiting for a quote to ship to North Carolina
retractable turn me on to them saying he bought from them and was quite satified

I looked back at the e-mail from them.
It says the muffler and the resonator are included. When I look at the catalog price it said doesn't include resonator. May have to check that out.

Please keep us posted if you purchase from them. I posted a question some time back about feedback and never got a response from anyone.

Why do you need a resonator. MOPARS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE QUIET!
Thats like giving an active boy Ridilin to sit still

I read through the Waldron site. They produce a Duster stainless system with 14 gauge T409. Is that suitable SS for exhaust components?

Sure is i have stainless 409 mufflers on my car still look awsume after 6 years polish them once a year..

I like the stock sound and looks. That's just me though, not for every one.

Why do you need a resonator. MOPARS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE QUIET!
Thats like giving an active boy Ridilin to sit still

Stock 273 HP exhaust was 2 1/2 pipe with two straight thru mufflers, the rear muffler was called a resonator. Not much fun cruising with a one straight thru muffler and a 10.5:1 compression, solid cammed engine. I tried it with only the front muffler. The "resonator" was back on in a day.

What is the difference of Aluminized steel and stainless steel in an exhaust system. I know stainless is going to be better, but with the price difference, I just wondered what the real difference may be as long as durability.
thanks
Although stainless is the best way to go, there are a few tips that will help keep an aluminized system nice for quite a while. Don't weld it together because the welds are where it will rust and fail first. Use stainless clamps instead of the raw steel. Any hangers should be stainless or painted with clear or weld through coating to avoid bare steel from touching the pipe. Any scratches or scuffs are going to rust so what I have done for restorations that have aluminized exhaust is to clean it all with solvent to degrease it, skotchbrite or steel wool any scratches or bare spots including the cutoff ends and spray it with 2 good coats of VHT 1500 degree clear. You can do a third coat and steel wool it to lower the gloss if it is too shiny for your taste. After installing it touch up any spots that are scuffed. The secret is to prevent the rust before it starts. The clear will cure for a while when the engine is running. This has lasted quite a while for me with periodic touchups and as long as the engine is not lean with high exhaust temps. It will look nice until it rusts from the inside out which it will in time. I've also found some stainless systems do some weird things with expansion and contraction especially the cheaper quality ones leading to rattles and oddities that aluminized sytems don't seem to have. As in all things your mileage way vary, just some thoughts.:glasses7:

Thanks for the positive feedback retractable. I pretty much have decided to go with a
Waldon stainless steel system for my dual exhaust application. I hate to do exhaust work!

-
Back