exhausted :) what system to install?

-

Buschi340

Reaction score
what does or Hemi like? I use to drag race my 6.1 a few times a year. Currently i have a x pipe homemade style. 2.5". close to the headers. I welded kinda cut outs on the X so i have a straight flow into the X, through the X and on the otherside out to have close to zero restriction. It make lets say a diagonal under the car.
Now i want to go the same way with 3" for next year to have a bit better flow. And move the X more to the rear to have the ends of the cut outs close to the rear tires like on AAR cars.

But I am not really sure if i have a power gain. ok, it is noticable once the cut outs are open. But is 3" ok? Is moving the X backwards ok? Is a cut out behind the X ok? Or better in front of the X?

For street use the X is still connected to the 2.5 dual exhaust ending in mufflers to the rear.
I will add a pic once i have the car on the lift. hard to see on this one.

What are you guys using?

Attachments

• dart hildesh.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_3741.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 291
maybe too complicated asked?

Using an x pipe in 3". In combination with cut outs.
what would be best - cut outs in front or after the X pipe?

Buschi, we talked about your exhaust system in Hildesheim, you remember? I´m gonna put in the same configuration this winter, 3" X-pipe behind the collectors, after that it´s going to cutouts that i can open at the track. Otherwise it will go into the mufflers.

Regarding the size, i think the 3" Pipes are suitable for much bigger and more powerful engines than ours are - a 500" street engine for example. So i think you are good to go...from what i read the x before the cutouts will make it a little quieter without significant restriction.

Michael

i remember slightly... sunday at the finals? after 2 rainy nights with lotsa booze? :D

good, so I stick with the design i have. just do it in 3" and 2.5 over the axle. just move the X slightly more into the rear to have the openings of the cut outs at the rear wheel. Just a design thing. Currently some exhaust fumes are entering the car with open doors in the line up with open headers.

Thanks Michael... :)

Generally the X is installed closer to the headers, like you have yours. Moving it back can lose the
"Sweet spot". With the look of the smoke coming off your tires, I'm not sure I would change much. :)

i thought it doesn't matter where the X is? Just for H designs important...
well, i want soft curves, no strong angles over 60 degree. That moves the X automatically into the middle between header and axle I guess.

My concern was for racing. Is an open headder better than trough the X? Or other way round does the X support the flow in high rpm's?
I mean a real X (4x almost 90° angles ) and not parallel pipes connected which just look like an X.. :)

By no means am I an expert on exhaust. I would google this subject.
Look up old school Hemi exhaust sytems. Try to find out what they were running back in the day.

The tricky part is that it will likely be a little different for each engine setup based on cam selection, headers, etc. Theoretically it's an engineering problem that you could potentially solve, but fluid dynamics and flow can do some weird stuff. You'd want to have the right length between the X and the exhaust ports so that the pulses between banks are timed correctly to give the best scavenging, but it will likely be dependent on engine speed as well, so it would be tuned in combination with a whole system in much the same way that intakes have a rpm range they are best in due to pressures pulses in the runners.

Long story short it's my way of saying there's probably no magic bullet answer and you could likely determine what is best for your system, but it could be a pretty complicated affair. You could trial and error it to see what works best (probably the most realistic answer), but it's also the more expensive way to go.

On my 06 charger srt8 with the 6.1, i put 3" cat back on it with a x pipe with flow masters and it was a little better on flow and power. The cut out i would keep before the x pipe, leave the x where you have it. If I were to do it again I would use dynomax ultra flo muffler instead of flowmasters.

Purpose of putting dumps on is to get the exhaust out quicker,mounting them after the x-pipe defeats this..most i see including mine are right after the headers.

I wouldn't hesitate to put 3 inch on it. I have dual 3 inch on the 5.2 in my Dakota. It's a low compression mild cam. 8.86 to 1, 210/[email protected]. 3800 lbs and ran 13.27.

I have a 3" H pipe in mine. My next exhaust is gonna have the Ubend man on eBay's 3" x setup with 180* mufflers and side exit in front of tires.

-
Back