Expert eyes needed

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Decided to check out this tranny I got on the cheap and I think it looks really good. Only thing is the 1st and 2nd clutch sleeve gear has 2 little grooves in every tooth. They're so uniform and perfect, it looks like they are supposed to be there.

Oil was nice, no metal pieces, etc.
What am I looking at here?
20161207_191229.jpg

I'm sure those were put there when new. Shouldn't be anything to be concerned about. It's hard to tell by the picture, but the brass blocking ring teeth should be to a point as well as the corresponding teeth on the gears. They seem rounded off to me? If so it makes the 1-2, 2-3. 3-4 hard and may grind. On the way down also.

Please elaborate . I have no friggin idea what the brass blocking teeth are. I CAN tell ya all the teeth on all gears and brass things ARE pretty pointed.
Also, what do you mean by "on the way down".

I can put you together a 10 second engine that will live damn near forever, but I'm totally clueless in the tranny department. Always had someone do them for me. Would like to stop that now......

Brass blocking rings or synchronize brass rings. The little teeth at the outer ends and the corresponding ones opposite them on the gears is what I'm talking about. The brass blocking ring is what slows the gear from spinning to complete the shift to the next gear. On the way down I mean downshifting, same thing they have to slow the gear down to complete the down shift. The more rounded these points are the harder the trans is to shift.

First thing I checked for was the points on everything. Guess the pic doesn't show it, but I believe I'm OK in that area. Maybe I'll use my camera and get some good close ups.

Really hoping to replace seals and run it.

Check the front and rear large ball bearings. if they are rough it will make noise. and now would be the time to replace them

Run that mutha.

I used to be able to tell the gear ratios off of those grooves, IIRC.

I'd bet money Brewers and Jamie Passon could tell you the ratios by those grooves.

YR, the thread heading clearly says " Expert Eyes needed"? :poke: It's my opinion unknown transmission like that should definitely have a hundred-dollar rebuild kit thrown in it at the very least. As stated (Roy) and I agreed with buy a manuel and take it apart like I did mine last winter for the first time and it turns out it was one of the easiest projects I've had on the car. I've never done it before and I would never let anybody do any work on my transmission again after doing it myself and finding out how easy it is. You need far less skills to take one of these 4-speeds apart then to build one of the motors by a long shot in my opinion. People need to stop being afraid of these 4 speed transmissions they are extremely easy. do not let a shop take you for a ton of money for something you can easily do yourself and with a little bit Study be able to take care of with no problem. My-2

Yea, the grooves are normal.
The syncro to gear clearance looks pretty good from what I can see in the pics without being able to move it and feel it, and the teeth all look pretty good.
The crowns on the syncros look slightly rounded, but not bad.
I'd check the front and rear bearings, put it in and run it as see how it does, since they are so dog gone easy to R&R

All good info here. I started building Muncie and T-10's many many years ago. Once you get over the fear, they really are easy to rebuild.

The grooves are normal. I think that new process put them there to quiet down the noise that straight cut gears make.

Well I guess I'm gonna have to get a manual and dig in. Seems so damn complex to me.....all the little needle and ball bearings flying out..?.
Glad to hear the little grooves were probably put there. looked that way to me.

Let them all fall out! those needle bearings aren't very small actually and the kit will come with all new ones anyway don't worry about that he'll put a little sticky grease on there and put the new ones in no problem it was so easy.
Well I guess I'm gonna have to get a manual and dig in. Seems so damn complex to me.....all the little needle and ball bearings flying out..?.
Glad to hear the little grooves were probably put there. looked that way to me.

How to Rebuild Chrysler A883 4-Speed Transmissions
How to Rebuild Chrysler A883 4-Speed Transmissions
This link is a personal icon on my phone. The article has pretty much the part that comes out of that book that advertises right at the beginning which is the one that I bought the rest of the book has a lot of other transmission you can rebuild or just a lot of pointers for the one that we're doing so having the book is kind of nice. But this article covers the great majority of it. If you have OverDrive it's a little bit more difficult because you have to drop the cluster gear out before you pull the tail shaft with the main cluster out. And then drop it in there with the bearings and everything put the gears back in with the tail shaft and then pull it up into place or try to imagine is a bit more difficult than just a normal for Speed but it is what it is and it's very doable.

Thanks for the link! Think I might just buy the book. That article is just a bit vague in some aspects. I think I'd feel more comfortable book in hand.

Same thing I thought when I red the article, I'd like to have the book.
Thanks for the link! Think I might just buy the book. That article is just a bit vague in some aspects. I think I'd feel more comfortable book in hand.

Let them all fall out! those needle bearings aren't very small actually and the kit will come with all new ones anyway don't worry about that he'll put a little sticky grease on there and put the new ones in no problem it was so easy.

Yep, the input to output shaft has some big ol needle bearings, as does the counter shaft on each end but a little smaller (some transmissions have two sets on each end of the counter gear) and it is a little freaky when you see them all pour out into the bottom of the case for the first time. :D

Nothin to it like Jpar say's, just grease and stack the new ones back in.
It's as easy as putting the needles back in a U joint cap, and that's pretty easy.
Of course you want to check those bearing surfaces for pits or wear while those needle are out.

YR, the thread heading clearly says " Expert Eyes needed"? :poke: It's my opinion unknown transmission like that should definitely have a hundred-dollar rebuild kit thrown in it at the very least. As stated (Roy) and I agreed with buy a manuel and take it apart like I did mine last winter for the first time and it turns out it was one of the easiest projects I've had on the car. I've never done it before and I would never let anybody do any work on my transmission again after doing it myself and finding out how easy it is. You need far less skills to take one of these 4-speeds apart then to build one of the motors by a long shot in my opinion. People need to stop being afraid of these 4 speed transmissions they are extremely easy. do not let a shop take you for a ton of money for something you can easily do yourself and with a little bit Study be able to take care of with no problem. My-2

I'm not opposed to the OP going through the box. In fact, I think he should. It's not hard. Just have to be patient, like anything else you do the first time (excepting sex).

My point was the OP was worried about the radial grooves. That is no big deal.

If he wants to go through it, go for it. Just don't go through it because of the grooves.

Those radial grooves are identifiers. Old style struts or new style struts. I forget which are which.
The fronts are similarly marked.
Even the gears are similarly marked and at one time I too could tell you which ratio was in the box, from the marks.

Those radial grooves are identifiers. Old style struts or new style struts. I forget which are which.
Even the gears are similarly marked and at one time I too could tell you which ratio was in the box, from the marks.
266 close ratio box, I believe.

Long ago I could look at that stuff and tell you which was which.

Now I just get out the book.

-
Back