expert needed

-

bigdemo1

Reaction score
Are there any differences between the early 360 block and the roller besides the 3 bolt bosses in the valley?these are blind holes?why can't you just drill these holes and screw a stud in for the spider?

The answer to your first question is YES. There ARE differences IN THE BLOCK. The difference is the added BEEF around the Lifter Bosses and in the machining in the tops of the lifter bosses to accept the dogbone which keeps the roller lifters straight in the bore....the spider only keeps the dogbones on top of the lifter bores.

Here is a Lifter Valley pic of my 89 Roller 360
Roller360May2010012-1.jpg

Prine thanks for the pic,it looks just like mine,I'm just wandering if I can drill my 77 block to accept the stock rollers and related parts?If I drill and tap these and add a screw in stud with a screw on boss for spacer to mount the spider.I have access to tons of 70's blocks so just wandering that's all,again thanks for the reply.

Your kidding, right?

The factory never does easy stuff like that for us. Factory roller rockers will not work in early blocks, if they did way more people would use them. And likely aftermarket roller rockers would be cheaper. The lifter bores need brass bushings installed, around $550. Block needs to be strip and clean also. Even then only aftermarket roller rockers would work

Your kidding, right?

The factory never does easy stuff like that for us. Factory roller rockers will not work in early blocks, if they did way more people would use them. And likely aftermarket roller rockers would be cheaper. The lifter bores need brass bushings installed, around $550. Block needs to be strip and clean also. Even then only aftermarket roller rockers would work

I am sure you meant factory roller lifter will not fit the early block...

LA blocks do not need to have their lifter bores bushed to run roller lifters...

I am sure you meant factory roller lifter will not fit the early block...

LA blocks do not need to have their lifter bores bushed to run roller lifters...

Yes factory rollers will not fit the early blocks , oh, but some blocks the lifter bores can be cut low on one or more bores. Maybe the aftermarket has solved this problem. Don't the block still need some grinding? Its not a drop in, motor in the car cam change thing-right?

Yes factory rollers will not fit the early blocks , oh, but some blocks the lifter bores can be cut low on one or more bores. Maybe the aftermarket has solved this problem. Don't the block still need some grinding? Its not a drop in, motor in the car cam change thing-right?
aftermarket lifters are a drop in, no machining necessary.

@Prine, what cylinder heads are on you engine in the photo?

There are several set of drop in Solid rollers...

and someone is working on drop in Hydraulic roller also that are suppose to be inexpensive....

Huges has drop in lifters, OU812 also has a set that'll drop in. Not all roller lifters being sold are drop in including the retro fit roller lifters that are supposed to drop in.

As far as machining the older block is concerned, I myself wouldn't go there. It may be possible, but if something goes wrong, you'll have a big paper weight.

As far as (re) bushing the lifter bores, I would recomend this for serious builds and race rides. Otherwise, you could for go this step if it is just a general or performance build.

-
Back