Explain the 68 Barracuda fender tag.

-

LS-300

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused. I have a 68 barracuda and the bottom right hand numbers on the fender tag and the last 6 digits of the VIN don't match. I thought they were supposed to. What's up?

For '68 back, the SO (sales order) number on the fender tag matches the body numbers.

The only way to match the SO to the dash VIN is with a broadcast sheet or some other paperwork like the invoice from Chrysler.

Thank you very much. That was driving me crazy.
I do have an other question. The numbers on the radiator support should match the fender tag. How many numbers should there be on the radiator support? I see a letter then a number followed by a letter then the correct 6 digits. Would that be correct?

Last edited:
OK if you can explain these numbers I would appreciate it. These are on the radiator support.
upload_2018-9-1_20-16-36.png

1968 Barracuda from the Hamtramck plant.

gotta love Hamtramck. it's like they had spies at every other plant just to make sure they did things different when possible :rolleyes:

1968 Barracuda from the Hamtramck plant.
So it is the first B is for Barracuda, 8 is for 1968 and the other B is for the Hamtramck? The 6 numbers were the Sales Order numbers?

so do those #'s match the vin tag?
No but they match the fender tag as they should. VIN is production sequence # not sales order #. The B8B do match the VIN breakdown.

No but they match the fender tag as they should. VIN is production sequence # not sales order #. The B8B do match the VIN breakdown.
sorry, meant fender tag. nice that they match. curios, is it also stamped on the trunk lip?

sorry, meant fender tag. nice that they match. curios, is it also stamped on the trunk lip?
Haven't checked yet. Possible purchase for me and want to cover ALL bases as this will replace another project I'm getting ready to start. I'll have to sell the current project to keep Mama happy.

Haven't checked yet. Possible purchase for me and want to cover ALL bases as this will replace another project I'm getting ready to start. I'll have to sell the current project to keep Mama happy.

Sell mama and keep both cars....

Sell mama and keep both cars....
Na I'm gona keep her. She doesn't complain about my car addiction. I made a promise on the numbers I would keep and she's going to hold me to it.

Na I'm gona keep her. She doesn't complain about my car addiction. I made a promise on the numbers I would keep and she's going to hold me to it.
or like me, i'm trying to sell the 74', but if no one gets it before i have time to mess with it...oh well :rolleyes:

Like this ? 1968 Ply. Cuda Formula S notch back
383/4 speed , 3.91 posi. Bench seat , heater delete. B5 blue . One hell of a car !!!

1_20171107_133259.jpg

0_20180211_154049.jpg

0_20171107_133426.jpg

1_20180211_154115.jpg

-
Back