explanation on how 2 speed wiper works

-

71Scamper

Mopar runs thru my veins!
Reaction score
I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out how the 2 speed wiper system works electronically in a 71 Scamp.

I bought a Ron Francis wiring kit with their fancy billet wiper switch to match the headlight switch. I figured out that the pink wire is hot into the switch. the purple wire to the motor is always hot. I don't know about the other wires. I may just have a defective factory switch and that's why its throwing me for a loop, but there is no power coming out of the switch in any of the other wires in any position.

Any help will be appreciated!

Mopar wipers are a PITA. Start by reading some of the shop manuals, and go to the "Passion" website

He's a member here and their website is a lot of help Dig around there a bit

http://www.passion4mopars.com/

Download manuals here

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

More manuals and other info here

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Is the switch supplied SUPPOSED to be for Mopars specifically? I would not bet on that, with the track record from EZ / Painless / Francis "pro GM" attitude................

I have the Ron Francis wiring kit and run the original stock wiper switch. The wiper switch itself has to be grounded.. Not sure if that's your issue or not.. Don't recall the wire colors. Would have to check my instructions

I was about to chime in about ground myself. Seems to be an issue with the Ron Francis switch but I have asked a friend who restores switches to come post because he and I together have worked on this RF stuff

I think it requires a switch that has two ganged 3-pole switches. Note one selector is powered the other is grounded. When testing it is always best to use a current limited supply.

Attachments

• wipers.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,556
Ya I've noticed the RF kit is very GM biased. It sucks cause i thought i was buying a chrysler kit. Instead I got a kit that I've had to Adapt. Not that fun. Did chrysler make a 2 speed switch with washer function built in?

Geez I think so, but I never bothered to memorize all the functions. Some switches have a center button, others you push the entire knob in.

My 71 scamp originally had a foot pump washer with a 2 speed wiper. No extra connector for the washer output.

Wow...I woulda thought they were done with the foot pump by 71.
Stupid question, but is your switch 2864415? If so, try just pushing the switch in to see if it has a "wash" function? I would think that the switch would be the same for both, just that if it gets a foot pump then they "omit" the connection to that part of the switch??

So I'm confused here. I'm sticking with a mopar switch but I'm looking for one with washer function. My 71 scamp was originally equipped with a foot pump but i want to upgrade to an electric pump. The connector has an extra opening for another wire I'm assuming would be for the washer output. My original switch doesn't have a spade in the extra connector spot. I looked up and discovered that electric washer was an option for my vehicle that year. It makes sense that the extra slot would be for the washer option. I can't seem to find the right part number for the 2 speed switch with washer function.

When they are turned off, they don't work.

When they are turned on low, they work slow.

When they are turned on high, they work faster.

Part Number 2864152 dc 0947
There is the W on the very right hand side which stands for "what the Hell is this for"

(Many thanks for Jim at JS Restoration for answering my question when I asked and providing the photos!)

Attachments

• IMG_4780.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_4782.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_4783.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_4784.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 344
Now that's the answer I was looking for! You wouldn't happen to have an extra you wouldn't mind parting with?

I shot Jim at JS Restorations a quicky email and asked if he has one restored for sale....at some point you and he can get together since he restores switches and probably does have one since that's his hand in the photo LOL I'll shoot you a pm when I have an answer with his contact info?

-
Back