Extension housing removal, bearing retainer clip

-

CHARLES FEARNEYHOUGH

Reaction score
This is probably covered hundreds of times but I thought I would just throw this out there for any other Nubee that has never removed this before.

I recently picked up and rebuilt a 1976 904 for my 1967 Dart GT Conv.

The clip that fits in the groove of the bearing in the housing is retained in the housing. For this reason you can not expand the clip and slide it out of the groove. You must expand the clip and move the housing back while holding the clip open to get it off the bearing. When the housing is removed the clip will be held in the housing. The same is true for installation. You must expand the clip and move the housing in over the bearing. Just a FYI.

Also don't make the same mistake I did and decide not to replace the output bushing while the tranny is out of the car and then find tranny fluid leaking from the rear seal due to too much clearance between the bushing and the yoke. Save yourself a whole lot of trouble and do this while removed!

This is probably covered hundreds of times but I thought I would just throw this out there for any other Nubee that has never removed this before.

I recently picked up and rebuilt a 1976 904 for my 1967 Dart GT Conv.

The clip that fits in the groove of the bearing in the housing is retained in the housing. For this reason you can not expand the clip and slide it out of the groove. You must expand the clip and move the housing back while holding the clip open to get it off the bearing. When the housing is removed the clip will be held in the housing. The same is true for installation. You must expand the clip and move the housing in over the bearing. Just a FYI.

Also don't make the same mistake I did and decide not to replace the output bushing while the tranny is out of the car and then find tranny fluid leaking from the rear seal due to too much clearance between the bushing and the yoke. Save yourself a whole lot of trouble and do this while removed!

Be glad you ain't got a four speed. You have to disassemble the transmission to get the tail shaft off. lol

Also don't make the same mistake I did and decide not to replace the output bushing while the tranny is out of the car and then find tranny fluid leaking from the rear seal due to too much clearance between the bushing and the yoke.
If this happens to your trans, it has other issues.
Just outside the bushing is a drain-back channel. any oil that gets past the bushing is supposed to drain back into the tail. But the truth is that with the correct oil level in the trans and a working convertor anti-drain-back valve in the VB, there should not be much oil in the tail to start with. Even if the convertor does drain back overnight, as soon as you start the engine and take it out of park, the pump takes care of that.
But I guess if you park it on a slope, tail downhill .......

Thanks AJ,

No leakage while sitting. Oil present on yoke u-joint and surrounding underbody after driving. Replacement of bushing seems to have resolved it. Waiting on new seal. probable don't need it but will change anyway.

-
Back