external oil filter options

-

SoulSurvivor

Reaction score
After my header install I have decided to go with an external oil filter system. Is there one that you can recommend. A photo would be nice if you have one.
Thanks, Doug

here is the best spin-on filter on the market:
8415-D.jpg

Pure Power! Lifetime Oil Filter for Small Domestic and Import Auto/Truck Engines;
CLEANABLE AND REUSABLE. Direct Spin-on Replacement with Emergency Relief Valve (ByPass). Cooler operating temperatures, improved fuel mileage, improved horsepower, extended oil drain intervals, greater oil flow, 100% filtration THROUGH deep pleated, two ply, Stainless Steel Filter Media. Improved debris removal (Testing at SwRI showed a 90% Improvement in Particle Removal over paper "throw away" filters). Easy to clean (hot soapy water). No modifications are required. Installation of the filter takes less than 5 minutes. Easy to install (No special tools needed). Easy Monitoring of the engine (simply unscrew the canister). Reduce maintenance and repair costs. No toxic disposal. No disposal charges. No contamination in landfill, lakes, rivers, oceans.

You can get a remote mount from Summit or Jegs.
Andrew

here is the best spin-on filter on the market

Where's the data to back up that claim? The engine oil and filtration geeks over at BITOG don't seem to be too impressed. I'm on the phone with 'em as I type this, and the individual is going to great lengths to talk up the burst resistance of the filter. Over a thousand PSI! Great...now how many of us have had an ordinary oil filter burst? She's also talking about how their filter is patented, and something about how there's no test data available because the SAE tests used to test the performance of all other oil filters aren't applicable to their special filter. Uh-huh. So far, without any data, this sounds like a very nicely machined $230 container of hot air.

Doug,

I have tried 4 or 5 different housings with different cars - I have not had any bad luck with any but my sample size is obviously small. I think the bigger issue is deciding on what kind of lines you would like to use and the routing - many choices and options depending on your needs and budget. I think the braided steel is worth it because I d not want an iol line to let go - but there are many using other lesser cost alternatives with no issues.

Attached is a picture from my 70 dart - overkill for sure but I had fun.

Kory

Thermostat and junction (Small).JPG

Wow! I am not even sure what I am looking at! There must be an oil cooler somewhere in there also. That may be more than I need. But not more than I want! Thanks

Doug,

After the filter there is a thermostat and then the two lines go over the radiator support to a cooler (-:

The tank holds pressure for starting and in case there is an "issue".

Kory

Front Oil Lines cooler (Small).JPG

Thermostat and junction (Small).JPG

Dan,
here is what I am basing my opinion on, but its just my opinion.
From their website:

"No oil filter has ever tested with such outstanding performance at Southwest Research Institute (90% more efficient than "throw-away" paper oil filters). Pure Power! Oil Filters have been awarded several major industry and international awards and is the ONLY cleanable/reusable oil filter proven to be so effective and reliable that it passed stringent F.A.A. testing with flying colors. Pure Power! is now the ONLY cleanable Oil Filter to be F.A.A. Certified. We make over 25,000 applications for gasoline, diesel, bio-diesel, flex-fuel foreign, domestic, street, fleet, trucks, buses, motorcycle, emergency equipment, personal watercraft and marine, military tanks and equipment etc. Clean and reuse, no special tools needed. Can be field cleaned with soap and water. American Made. There is nothing like it, nothing outperforms it!
American Made 6061 T6 CNC Machined Forged Billet Aluminum Housing and Bypass; Stainless Steel Dual Woven Filter Media; the highest grade Mil-Spec Viton® O-rings on all sealing surfaces. Superior in design, quality, workmanship, and Aerospace spec CNC machining. The ONLY cleanable oil filter to be manufactured from AMERICAN Certified 6061 T6, Cold Finished, Billet material, the finest quality stainless steel filter media and extreme high temperature Aerospace ceramic investment material; Two Neodymium magnets located on each side of the filter media. Each magnet is rated to capture up to 16 Oz of ferrous metal and has a larger magnetic field area to lower surface tension for smoother oil flow. "J" cut threads and a starting thread to prevent cross threading."

I'm just a fan of well machined pieces and looking for improved performance in each component
Andrew

hkeller -
Doesn't that get awfully messy during filter changes?

I too would like to hear opions on the "best" oil filter relocation kit. My Dougs headers are a tight fit, and relocating would be the cleanest bet.

hkeller, has what i think i'm after, but like said before, it looks like it might get messy.

Dan,
here is what I am basing my opinion on, but its just my opinion.
From their website:

That's the problem. It's from their website. Blah-blah-blah unfounded claims, mention of tests with no data, blah blah blah our filter is super keen and you should buy it because it's totally awesome blah blah. You decide this is "the best filter on the market" just based on what they claim...? Seriously? Not me!

This filter appears to be all sizzle and no steak. All hat and no cowboy. All litterbox and no cat. I called 'em up and talked to them (see above) and the lady said to send her an e-mail and she'd send me test data, oil analysis results, etc. I sent her the e-mail immediately...nothing came back from her. I'm kind of not surprised; she made numerous statements during our conversation that are basically, factually, and seriously incorrect regarding how engines work.

Not at all. Just slide an old rag under the filter, and unscrew it. Very little spillage. It makes oil changes a breeze.
HKeller

Canton carries nice billet adapters too that also flow better and they have external mounts.

Mine is similar and a rag and little spilage etc.
Made my own lines and I went to larger hoses for better flow as well.

Picture 001 (Small).jpg

Canton carries nice billet adapters too that also flow better and they have external mounts.

Mine is similar and a rag and little spilage etc.
Made my own lines and I went to larger hoses for better flow as well.

Do yourself a favor and chuck the fram filter in the garbage, I have had two screw up on me in the past one collapsed and another came a part inside.

Here some good info on oil filter comparison http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

I guess I should add I use an Oberg Race Oil filters on my big block mopar, fleetguard on my CTD Ram and an Purolator Pure One on my cough cough corvette

There is a thread somewhere where member "hotlines" has a pic of his remote dual filter setup in an Early A. Very clean install. I'm in the same boat running headers on my early A and will likely go the same route. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Moroso. Adapter at engine is billet aluminum . Filter mounted this way for not so messy oil change and also dirt stays in the filter. Lines go to bulk heads on the rad support where the oil cooler is attached. Trans cooler is done the same way on the opposite side.

Always mount your remote filters with the canister down. This prevents the oil draining from the filter when the motor is not running. Which helps prevent dry starts where the motor is waiting for oil on the restart. Also a lot less messy on a filter change.

My old system.
The first time I did this , I also used pre made hydraulic lines.....very inexpensive and they do work.
But the fittings are a lot more restrictive compared to AN stuff.
Plus the bling factor of braided stainless cannot be denied.
This has all been replaced with Canton stuff for my new motor , so it could be yours for around a hunnert plus the ride.
Or it could find it's way into the Volare wagon that sits in the on deck circle. :D

Attachments

• oil filter 007.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 689
  • oil filter 004.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 713
  • Cutting 016.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 648
-
Back