External oil pump pickup pan mod...?

-

DGrace

Reaction score
Anybody modify their own oil pan for an external pickup? Trying to save a few bucks since the Milodon pan is around $280. Plan on using a 12AN 90° bulkhead fitting but not sure of the hole diameter, sealing washers to use, or how to cut a "clean" hole. Milodon sells a fitting for this with the washer & o ring for $50 but I can get the fitting for $20. Just trying to save where I can plus I'd like to do as much as I can myself. Thanks in advance for any help.

Chassis punch. (Radio Chassis punch, Knock Out punch)
Drill a small hole for the bolt and the tighten. super clean holes, variety of sizes.

upload_2018-9-28_11-3-19.png

One option is to weld on an AN bung. No worries about cutting the perfect hole, depending on washers for sealing, or the fitting coming loose and needing to drop the pan to tighten it.
Good idea

One option is to weld on an AN bung. No worries about cutting the perfect hole, depending on washers for sealing, or the fitting coming loose and needing to drop the pan to tighten it.

These are the Russell bungs, but they are available from several suppliers: Weld-In Bungs and Fittings - 12 AN Thread Size

View attachment 1715228944
Don't think that would work in this application. The bulkhead fitting screws into the pickup that sits flat on the bottom of the oil pan. The Milodon fitting shows an o ring and flat washer that I guess goes on the outside of the pan - like a drain plug - external sealing?

Don't think that would work in this application. The bulkhead fitting screws into the pickup that sits flat on the bottom of the oil pan. The Milodon fitting shows an o ring and flat washer that I guess goes on the outside of the pan - like a drain plug - external sealing?
I put o rings in and out, w/ a sealing washer against both. Nut on outside, swinging pick up on inside. 90 degree pointed to the front, 45 on the pump plate to line up, straightest shot possible on the big line . No problems w/ oil drain back, oil pressure comes up immediately on start up.----just sayin

If you are talking about this type of pickup, you can also weld it to the pan, instead of using a bulkhead fitting to secure it. Then you just weld the bung over the same hole on the outside.

pickup.JPG

If you are talking about this type of pickup, you can also weld it to the pan, instead of using a bulkhead fitting to secure it. Then you just weld the bung over the same hole on the outside.

View attachment 1715229296

There is a male fitting that screws into the stationary pick up, and you "can" put an o ring and washer on it, w/ the nut on the out sid4ew/ an o ring and washer underneath it . I DID, before pulling it on the engine stand , for the swinging pick up. Why, just cause I always wanted one.
Their are a few diff combinations that a guy can use.

You want to cut as small a hole as possible. Otherwise o-rings won't seal. What nuts came with the fittings? Standard nut is just that. Other type has a recess that really helps to keep an o-ring in place. The steel washers also help position an o-ring but not as good as the recessed nuts. Problem is the depth of the threads on these large fittings make for quite a gap between any washer and the minor diameter of the fitting. Then there are the Teflon washers. Use a sealant to seal it up to the pan and to the nut. O-ring helps to keep the pickup from sliding around. You can't tighten up against the Teflon very much or they will break. Actually they will break anyways,just not as soon. In the end you need to find what works with your pan. And don't forget,these will leak thru those threads. Myself,i use nothing inside the pan. An o-ring with a fair amount of silicone on it and a teflon washer with a sealant on both sides. Not silicone. Snug it down and let it set up overnight. Running external lines on 3 cars and no leaks. I also keep a stash of Teflon washers handy. Anyone come up with another way post it up here as I want to hear about it.

I put o rings in and out, w/ a sealing washer against both. Nut on outside, swinging pick up on inside. 90 degree pointed to the front, 45 on the pump plate to line up, straightest shot possible on the big line . No problems w/ oil drain back, oil pressure comes up immediately on start up.----just sayin
Thank you for your input. Never done this before and trying to find out what others are doing that works. Trying to avoid (or at least prolong) the dreaded leak.

There is a male fitting that screws into the stationary pick up, and you "can" put an o ring and washer on it, w/ the nut on the out sid4ew/ an o ring and washer underneath it . I DID, before pulling it on the engine stand , for the swinging pick up. Why, just cause I always wanted one.
Their are a few diff combinations that a guy can use.
Thank you for your input. Getting all the info I can to determine my best option.

You want to cut as small a hole as possible. Otherwise o-rings won't seal. What nuts came with the fittings? Standard nut is just that. Other type has a recess that really helps to keep an o-ring in place. The steel washers also help position an o-ring but not as good as the recessed nuts. Problem is the depth of the threads on these large fittings make for quite a gap between any washer and the minor diameter of the fitting. Then there are the Teflon washers. Use a sealant to seal it up to the pan and to the nut. O-ring helps to keep the pickup from sliding around. You can't tighten up against the Teflon very much or they will break. Actually they will break anyways,just not as soon. In the end you need to find what works with your pan. And don't forget,these will leak thru those threads. Myself,i use nothing inside the pan. An o-ring with a fair amount of silicone on it and a teflon washer with a sealant on both sides. Not silicone. Snug it down and let it set up overnight. Running external lines on 3 cars and no leaks. I also keep a stash of Teflon washers handy. Anyone come up with another way post it up here as I want to hear about it.
Thank you. I like the idea of keeping the sealing external - easier to deal with when/if a leak develops. Not sure if the 90° fitting Milodon sells has a groove for the o ring but I can see how that would help....

Fittings have no groove. One type of nut has a groove in it. Not really deep enough for an o-ring. But it does help hold one in place.

Fittings have no groove. One type of nut has a groove in it. Not really deep enough for an o-ring. But it does help hold one in place.
I would suggest u buying a milodon kit if u got the bucks. I pieced mine together mostly out of older funny car stuff, even the alum. pan. Don't have over a $100 in it , counting the $40 hi volume pump I bought from a member on here.
My fittings do have a lower than the threads place for an oring, the nuts do not. I`d rather have the oring on both sides myself, no big deal.

I would suggest u buying a milodon kit if u got the bucks. I pieced mine together mostly out of older funny car stuff, even the alum. pan. Don't have over a $100 in it , counting the $40 hi volume pump I bought from a member on here.
My fittings do have a lower than the threads place for an oring, the nuts do not. I`d rather have the oring on both sides myself, no big deal.
That's the main reason I'm researching the best way to install the pickup - I don't have the bucks. Besides, I think the Milodon stuff, although very nice, is a bit too expensive. The pan is around $250 and the external kit (the "cheap" one) is around $270 - and that's without a pump. I just feel the external setup is better but not if it costs an arm and a leg..... The 7qt pan I purchased was $80 and wanted to use the 440 Source external pump kit (with pump) that's $200. Thank you for your help.

That's the main reason I'm researching the best way to install the pickup - I don't have the bucks. Besides, I think the Milodon stuff, although very nice, is a bit too expensive. The pan is around $250 and the external kit (the "cheap" one) is around $270 - and that's without a pump. I just feel the external setup is better but not if it costs an arm and a leg..... The 7qt pan I purchased was $80 and wanted to use the 440 Source external pump kit (with pump) that's $200. Thank you for your help.
cool, a guys gotta do what he`s gotta do.

-
Back