External oiling question

-

nitrojunkee

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has used the Milodon single line external system in a '67 Dart without having to modify the K-member or do anything funky with the driver's side motor mount? Any other issues?

I don't know about a 67 but it clears in my 74 Dart. Don't buy the milodon oil pump drive gear if your running a flat tappet cam. Buy a Mopar one and machine it to fit. I had 2 bad milodon gears in a row. Put a Mopar one in and problem solved.

I don't know about a 67 but it clears in my 74 Dart. Don't buy the milodon oil pump drive gear if your running a flat tappet cam. Buy a Mopar one and machine it to fit. I had 2 bad milodon gears in a row. Put a Mopar one in and problem solved.

Cool, thanks for the reply! I'm running a solid roller, btw. But thanks for the heads up there! Milodon just told me it should clear the mounts (Schumacher) but I'll just have to wait and see with the K-member I guess, since they can vary so much.

Maybe I'm stupid I don't know, but what exactly is the advantage here?

An external oil line reduces the amount of restriction on the suction side. In some case with a stroker there is no room for an internal pick up. It also allows for a swinging pick up...accelerating the pick up will move to the rear of the sump where bulk of the oil is. Or so they say...

Hears what milodon says.
Big Block Mopars need more oil pressure and a larger amount of oil than most other engines, that's just a fact !
Higher RPM or bigger cubic inches increase the demand on an already marginal stock system. Get the right stuff the first time and life will be good.
External oil systems allow the bypassing of irregular and restrictive stock internal oil passages. These systems allow the placement of the pick-up in optimum position, plus the use of free flowing braided line. Milodon Oiling Systems provide the optimum in oiling for all types of applications and competition.And yes there is a big difference between the internal and external systems.

I'm doing it for added insurance, with the increased stroke of my build. That's all. Sure, I could have opened up the stock pickup hole to 1/2" NPT, but I figured external oiling would ultimately be the best choice for what I'm doing.

Just so I have this straight in my mind. The company that sells the thing is who says you need it. I've never seen or read anywhere else that the stock oiling systems were somehow deficient. Nowhere. In fact, all I have ever read is how good they are and that's other places besides Milodon that don't have any stake in sellin me something.

It just seems like to me if you're basing your decision on that alone, you might as well be a crackhead. Cause every crack dealer in the world will say you need that, too.

Somehow, I think the 1/2 pickup would be enough to support 1000 HP and 8000 RPM.....and since I've actually seen it, I know it will work. I mean sure, you can grind here and there to make the suction side less restrictive. But honestly, has anybody ever done before and after pressure and suction tests to see the difference? I can see there would be a difference going from the 3/8 to the 1/2 pickup. A blind man could see that difference.

I somehow just don't think that the average street or even race engine has a need for it. I mean......if Jim Laroy can pull 700 plus HP using a stock pan and 3/8 pickup, what makes people making less think they need this?

Hears what milodon says.
Big Block Mopars need more oil pressure and a larger amount of oil than most other engines, that's just a fact !
Higher RPM or bigger cubic inches increase the demand on an already marginal stock system. Get the right stuff the first time and life will be good.
External oil systems allow the bypassing of irregular and restrictive stock internal oil passages. These systems allow the placement of the pick-up in optimum position, plus the use of free flowing braided line. Milodon Oiling Systems provide the optimum in oiling for all types of applications and competition.And yes there is a big difference between the internal and external systems.

I mean......if Jim Laroy can pull 700 plus HP using a stock pan and 3/8 pickup, what makes people making less think they need this?

I guess it comes down to a matter of opinion, and/or experiences? Who says you need a girdle and billet aluminum main caps to make a B or RB block stay together at 500-600hp? I've seen plenty of em stay together making more than that for years, without either one...

To each their own, I guess.

He asked a question I gave him the answer from the people that he is using .It dosn't matter what you read or what you ddidn't read There is fact about it.Just because someone didn't put it print or are always right internet dosn't mean milodon dont know what there talking about. Go and try to disprove. I know for a fact they work better then the standard systems and that came from the dragstrip. Mark
Just so I have this straight in my mind. The company that sells the thing is who says you need it. I've never seen or read anywhere else that the stock oiling systems were somehow deficient. Nowhere. In fact, all I have ever read is how good they are and that's other places besides Milodon that don't have any stake in sellin me something.

It just seems like to me if you're basing your decision on that alone, you might as well be a crackhead. Cause every crack dealer in the world will say you need that, too.

Somehow, I think the 1/2 pickup would be enough to support 1000 HP and 8000 RPM.....and since I've actually seen it, I know it will work. I mean sure, you can grind here and there to make the suction side less restrictive. But honestly, has anybody ever done before and after pressure and suction tests to see the difference? I can see there would be a difference going from the 3/8 to the 1/2 pickup. A blind man could see that difference.

I somehow just don't think that the average street or even race engine has a need for it. I mean......if Jim Laroy can pull 700 plus HP using a stock pan and 3/8 pickup, what makes people making less think they need this?

He asked a question I gave him the answer from the people that he is using .It dosn't matter what you read or what you ddidn't read There is fact about it.Just because someone didn't put it print or are always right internet dosn't mean milodon dont know what there talking about. Go and try to disprove. I know for a fact they work better then the standard systems and that came from the dragstrip. Mark

Hey buddy, I appreciate your post! I spent a good amount of time on the phone with Milodon, and I know there is validity to their claims. My biggest concern was clearing the K-member in my Dart. I will just have to wait and see. Shouldn't need much if any, and I'll update this thread with my own personal findings, so if anyone else ever does this exact same deal, it may give them some piece of mind!

Thanks again, Dartcuda!

I'm not trying to argue the point. I want proof. Up to this point, all I've seen is "I know for a fact" and baseless statements like that. You know? How? I am asking a question here too. Is my question somehow less valued since I'm askin it? All I want to know is at what point is something like this necessary and why? If you can answer it, great. If not, then don't give me a bunch of baseless opinion.

My opinion is based on seeing people run low 8s and high 7s in rail type dragsters with stock style oiling systems with only the 1/2" hemi pickup mod. If memory serves me correctly, I don't think the 7 second engine has been apart since it was built......over 6 seasons ago. It gives zero problems. Never loses oil pressure. I would think if something "needed" an external oiling system and a swinging pickup, a dragster would be it. All I'm asking is to help me understand.

Been starting to look into buying a block for my nightmare....Keith Black blocks are not drilled for an internal pickup. In talking to a few different builder certain combinations of parts will not allow for an internal pick up. One of them has told me that if you wind a big block high enough a dual external line is needed....I think to a point it might come down to personal preference. Have seen more than one 9 second BBM with an internal pickup....And plenty of 11 second cars with an external one....

I'm not trying to argue the point. I want proof. Up to this point, all I've seen is "I know for a fact" and baseless statements like that. You know? How? I am asking a question here too. Is my question somehow less valued since I'm askin it? All I want to know is at what point is something like this necessary and why? If you can answer it, great. If not, then don't give me a bunch of baseless opinion.

My opinion is based on seeing people run low 8s and high 7s in rail type dragsters with stock style oiling systems with only the 1/2" hemi pickup mod. If memory serves me correctly, I don't think the 7 second engine has been apart since it was built......over 6 seasons ago. It gives zero problems. Never loses oil pressure. I would think if something "needed" an external oiling system and a swinging pickup, a dragster would be it. All I'm asking is to help me understand.

The point of this thread never had anything to do with whether they work or not. The question I actually asked is if anyone knew if they'd clear the K-member or not. Do you know the answer to that question? Do you KNOW it? I don't KNOW it...Which is why I asked. If you want to banter on about "proof" or "knowing" whether or not external oiling works, and clutter up the thread some more, I suppose that's your choice.

For the record...Do I KNOW of they work for sure? Nope. But I'm going to try it out, and see how it does. Is that OK with you? LOL. I'm mostly just giving you ****, so no need to get all bent. I don't mind listening to thoughts and opinions, but this thread was never about that.

Sorry for helping muck up your thread. But to answer your question....Years ago I had an a-body with a 440 in it. Motor was sitting on motor mounts and it had a single line external system on it. The k-frame was an old d/c one, I do not remember if had spool mounts on it or not. I do know it was pretty damn tight but it did fit. All the pictures I had of it are long gone.....

Sorry for helping muck up your thread. But to answer your question....Years ago I had an a-body with a 440 in it. Motor was sitting on motor mounts and it had a single line external system on it. The k-frame was an old d/c one, I do not remember if had spool mounts on it or not. I do know it was pretty damn tight but it did fit. All the pictures I had of it are long gone.....

LOL. It's fine, honestly. I wasn't trying to be a dick. I do appreciate your feedback though! It is going to be tight, and it wont be the end of the world if I need to do some channeling on the K-member. I'd just rather not, if I don't have to!

Trust me, I've contemplated sticking with the stock 3/8" NPT pickup boss, or opening it up to 1/2" NPT. But decided after talking to a few builders, my machinist, and doing some research, that I'd give this a shot. I don't see it hurting.

I have one on mine, but it is mounted on a DC k-member and I had to trim a bit from the k and run some chaffing gear.

Just trying to learn something. I WAS on the topic of external oil pumps at least. I didn't realize we had exclusive rights to the threads we started. I can find out elsewhere and when I do, It'll be a cold day in hell before I share it. I go out of my way to help anyone I can here but as of now, that's over with. That's what I get for trying to add to something. Somebody wants my help they know where my PM box is. Screw this anymore.

-
Back