F.A.S.T Duster?

-

71Duster

Reaction score
I saw a mention on Demon Sizzler's site about a Duster 340 in FAST running an 11.86

Does anyone have any info on this car and or set-up?

I saw a mention on Demon Sizzler's site about a Duster 340 in FAST running an 11.86

Does anyone have any info on this car and or set-up?

If its the one i'm thinking of its out of Conn. with a 416 stroker 13 to 1 comp. 11.86 not bad...

email him through the site he will put you in touch, or probably he already knows the setup since he built his carb for him....

Just like to see what makes that monster go. Iron manifolds and intake polyglass tires and stock sounding cam and numbers that put some wilder looking/sounding cars to shame gives me ideas... ideas I can't afford.

Just like to see what makes that monster go. Iron manifolds and intake polyglass tires and stock sounding cam and numbers that put some wilder looking/sounding cars to shame gives me ideas... ideas I can't afford.

Those f.a.s.t. cars are far far from stock,except for looking like it they're tweeked to the max,roller cams,stroker motors,ported heads,intakes,exhaust manifolds,carbs,lots of money in those cars...

That '71 FAST Duster belongs to Jeff Patterson, out of Ohio. It is a 'quick' stock looking 340 engine! I doubt he would reveal much info on the engine though, David.

hyperpac225 004.jpg

As most of you know in fast class you must run stock tires, intake manifolds with correct casting number, exhaust manifolds with correct casting numbers, heads with correct casting numbers . (those are the big ones). Carburetor needs to be the same size and make that was originally equipped. Head numbers are checked when you get into the 11s. Of course there there more rules and they can be found on the YearOne web page.

I run E70-14 WideOval redlines at the track and I can tell you it is hard to launch (I run stock suspension that would be fast class legal)

BTW 68 Formula S 340, 4 speed, Fastback.

The only FAST illegal parts Im running on the entire car are my cam (Solid roller...not sure but I bet it wouldn't pass) intake and carb (not counting under hood cosmetics).

Best I have done is a 13.2 @ 105mph with a 1.68 60'.

That cars internal engine mods are HUGE!

Even so low 13's high 12's and looking stock is cool...

I think I mostly got on the idea after getting tired of a lot of "bolt on" parts and wondering how quick a stock set up could be made to go.

I know most of the guys are secretive of their builds but just a curious idea on what the basics are to run iron manifolds and intakes sound stock and push a car anywhere near those speeds on crap tires

I will let you know. I will be putting the orignal carb and intake on my car soon. I have them all fresh and ready to go.

Any bets on how much I will slow down going from a Holley 800DP and Victor 340 to the stock Cast Iron Intake and AVS..............

My cam (Solid roller) (11.7 compression)

http://www.crower.com/misc/cam_spec/cam_finder.php?part_num=31407&x=0&y=0

The only thing I know about the F.A.S.T. series is look stock, run like hell. After that, any mod goes so long as you look stock. Have the mentioned casting numbers.

Large stroker, max compresion, roller cam.

71duster - if you want help building your 340 engine this winter, I am not racing next year and could give you some help. We would have to assemble it here though.
This winter I am not working on any circle track stuff and I am planning on painting my 74 duster and maybe doing/helping another guy here with a 340 build. I just brought the 74 back from Sask. this past weekend, I might even drive it before the snow flies.

I'm going a similar route with my 70 swinger 340. My car is all numbers matching with no rust, so I'm rebuilding the engine to appear stock. My TurboBuick racing buddy is porting the stock 915 heads aind matching the iron 340 intake manifold. The block is out getting machined and balanced. I picked up a Comp cams roller setup with healthy cam, hydraulic roller rockers, custom pushrods, and adjustable rockers. All external parts(Valve covers, intake, timing cover, etc.) have been sand blasted and repainted Hemi orange. I'm a working joe on a budget, so this won't happen overnight, but I'm an ex=jarhead and a persistent SOB. I'm hoping for low to mid 12's while looking bone stock. Any help or advise would be appreciated. Paul

The rules you guys have mentioned seem tricky, it sounds like its a competition for numbers matching cars, not 'Stock Appearing Tires'. If that's the deal, then I am going to start a Sleeper Competition then to make it really interesting.

Can you run a non-numbers matching drivetrain in the F.A.S.T class?

The rules you guys have mentioned seem tricky, it sounds like its a competition for numbers matching cars, not 'Stock Appearing Tires'. If that's the deal, then I am going to start a Sleeper Competition then to make it really interesting.

Can you run a non-numbers matching drivetrain in the F.A.S.T class?

I believe you can run whatever drivetrain was available for that model that year...

The casting numbers have to match the year car and engine that you run. If you run a '72 a-body w/ 340 then it needs to have the correct intake and head casting numbers for a '72 340 car. The carb also needs to be correct for a '72 in which case would be a thermoquad.

68FormulaS340, 1.68 60' times are very excellent for a stock type tire.

Chuck

-
Back