F body 8 1/4 into an A-body

-

68383S

Reaction score
Anybody do this swap. I know it is an inch wider but is the spring perches close and will the driveshaft length need to be adjusted?

I had one in my car when I bought it, so I'd say it can be done. It's pretty much B body width overall, perches need to be moved and changed too if you want to use old shock plates. The F body stuff uses rubber isolator pads on the springs that use giant locator holes in the perches. If you move them in to A body length though you can just get old perches with the small holes when you replace them. I think driveshaft length is all in the center section and transmission, so it should be the same as any 8 1/4 I would think. May need different offset wheels to take up the width difference, but I think there are some stock ones out there you could get by with.

Dropped one in my car - had to move the spring seats, but that was it. I have about an inch of clearance between the tire and wheel well. Nothing rubs, and stock offset wheels work fine. It actually got my rear tires lined up pretty well with my front wheels. I had to have the shaft shortened, of course i cannot remember how much. Maybe 2 or 3 inches.

-
Back