F-body manual disc what size MC

-

TheDeputy

Reaction score
In the future I would like to upgrade the 9" drums on my valiant to a disc brake set-up I have from a F-body.
To make the conversion happen I have the spindels, discs and calipers.
I've also got the proportioning valve.
The donor had power brakes.
The discs are 11" and the rear drums I will be using are 10x2. I would like to keep the valiant manual brakes, so no power assist.

Can I reuse the donor prop. valve?
Which diameter MC should I use to get a good pedal feel and stopping power, or can I use the donor MC? (The donor power assist MC has pn3699263 and a diameter of 26.6mm)

Thanks,

Antoon

I think your swap is ill advised. The knuckle on the F/J/M cars, as well as the later rubber isolated B/R cars, is taller than the original knuckle in the A-body cars (as well as the earlier B/E body.) This would cause the upper and lower control arms to be less than parallel and therefore would cause strange camber changes as the suspension cycles. This may cause the car to handle and drive strangely.

I'm sure it has been done before, I believe Mopar Muscle did this years ago, but it's not something I would do.

On the size of the master cylinder, I believe you'll want a 15/16 bore master cylinder. Smaller bore master cylinder=less pedal pressure. Larger bore=more pedal pressure. You should be able to use the pushrod you already have, but make sure it fits properly into the new master cylinder.

The f-body spindle swap has been talked about for years, and the general opinion is that the changes in allignment will not give serious problems.
I also had this question posted on the slant six forum, where SlantSixDan advised to use the original 1 1/32" which was also used on 73 to 76 A-body's, both with manual and power disc brakes, along with bigger 13/16" rear wheel cilinders.

Thanks for your reply,

Antoon

-
Back