FABO Member Stranded HELP

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Help Needed

FABO member charger70 is travelling from AZ to MN and needs tranny help.

He is broken down in Gallup, NM. Any members near that could lend a hand or can recommend a shop in the area?

3rd gear is out on his /6 904 Duster

Maybe a member with tranny knowledge that could help via phone?

PM me for charger70's cell #

Thanks for the suggestions......

He's going to try changing the filter & fluid and see if that helps. Has to leave behind a vehicle he was towing and pay storage until he can get back there to pick it up. More $$$ :sad8:

Any tranny gurus that can lend a hand via phone?

Don't know much about auto transmissions, I'm in the process of rebuilding my first, but I'll put in my two cents. According to a trans rebuild book I have, low fluid level is the only roadside fix. Other than that the trans would have to be torn down for other possibilities like governor, valve body, pump, or front and/or rear clutch malfunctions. Sorry I couldn't have been more help...maybe this will get the ball rolling...

Its not that we haven't been trying to help . We have just been calling or sending pm's . New Mexico is a big spread out state with a small population compared to Arizona or Texas . It seems like there are more people in the Arizona side that are with in helping distance . Its just simply a bad spot to break down . I'm more than willing to help , but I'm on the oposite corner of the state ( 10 hours roughly ) . I talked to him on the phone and left him my # . I hope everything works out for him , and I don't want anyone to think for a moment that people are not helping . This is FABO , and FABO rules !

Similar happened to me in 1980. Trans quit half way between Pheonix and Flagstaff. 56 Belair, cast iron automatic, PNDLR.
Wrecker tow on into Falgstaff. Excanged trans with a parts yard there ( wrecker driver knew who/where ) and they helped with the labor. 200 bucks and on the road again.
This may not help but I would suggest getting on to the nearest highly populated area and ask around. A helping hand from total strangers is still possible even today. Best of luck to him.

Morning Update on his travels........

He's made it through NM and the panhandle of TX and is making his way on Highway 54 towards Hutchinson, KS. Duster trans is holding up so far with the fluid change and tranny cooler addition. :cool:

He appreciates all the help & concern and asks everyone to keep their fingers crossed....LOL

I have 2 threads going on this topic, so I thought I'd better post info to both. :happy10:

Well, thats over for a day or 2!

My friend and I arrived in MN a little after Midnight lastnight.
I was following him just crossing into NM when his 74 Duster belched a big cloud of blue smoke and he headed for the first exit which was the NM state Welcome center.
Drive had let go at that moment and he pulled it into 2nd to keep moving. looking under the car there was fluid dripping too. We called 6pk2go to post a help request and then after about a half hr we decided to unhook the tow dolly and try to use 2nd to drive it the last few miles to a truck stop in Gallup where there were some services.
My friend took off and after he was up to speed in 2nd for a bit he tried third and it kind of slipped into gear and he made it to the truck stop.
We picked up some type F, some empty jugs and some hose, Disconnected the trans lines from the Radiator and ran it with the trans in neutral to pump out some of the burned fluid while pouring in the fresh Type F.
We knew that it was a gamble but decided to leave my tow dolly and other Duster body in a storage lot and try to milk his car home.
I sprung for a cheep $29.00 trans cooler and plumbed that in.

I still can't believe he made it. That was about a thousand miles on a wounded trans. Unbelievable!!

Now I have to unload my truck and trailer and go back to NM for my parts car and tow dolly.:angry7:Moving Sucks.

Thanks to everyone that called and tried to work it out for us.

Wow! What a trip, eh?

Glad to hear you guys made it home OK.

Reminds me of a couple of trips to the Outer Banks of NC ...family vacations in our 94 Ford Exploder......one year the tranny went out (limped off the beach and it was like a waterfall under the truck with the tranny fluid...tranny was toast), two years later fuel pickup lines ruptured 9like a waterfall under the truck again, this time with GAS!!!)....both times way up on the beach, far from civilization.....great stories for both of them......and very expensive both times...have been going to the Outer Banks for over 20 years, every year...the trips start running together, but those two trips I remember very clearly! LOL talk about memories....it was panic mode at the time but I look back now and it was certainly an adventure!

Be safe on your trip back to get your car.......and good luck!

-
Back