fabricaation help

-

scampy72

Reaction score
ok so i would like to fabricate my rear bumper so that it has a look similar if not the same as the attached photo. im pretty sure i can get the bars right but how would i do the lights so they are flush like that and not recessedlike on a normal scamp/dart bumper? im gonna put the reverse lights down on the roll pan. also it would obviously have to be done in a way where i can get to the back to change the bulbs if need be.

thanks in advance

-Marc

custom scamp bumper.JPG

Are you planning on going chrome? Reason I ask is because your metal work has to be spot-on straight. High end builders do several copper dips on custom bumpers then block the copper down until perfect. Then chrome......Can be big $$$.

Paint is much more forgiving for obvious reasons.

The car you pic'd is the "Poison Dart" I believe, that was a HUGE dollar build....bumpers are narrowed, flush fit etc.

cutting the slots in the bumper might be the easiest part. I would think the fixture would run through the rear panel so bulb access would be inside the trunk.

huh.... honestly never saw that car before now, however unless it got reworked all over again its just a different car with the same bumper like i wanna do. but thanks for the reference. also i do wanna go chrome and i know its gonna be a bit expensive. any hints on how to do the copper dips and lights?

Plating shops do the copper dip......like a bumper is dipped in chrome. Couple hundred bucks each time and show/custom car bumpers get several dippings in between blocking sessions. A mega build like Foose's Terracuda probably has weeks of labor hours just in bumper work

The Poison Dart has been re-done as it has changed hands.

ok, this pic BTW is from that horrible disaster at the Russo and Steele auction. anyway thanks again for the info now i need to start lookin into it all, and again any more help on the lights would be greatly appreciated guys and gals

Check out my build thread, I cut holes in my front bumper and did them like a 70 Road Runner. I wanted driving lights in the bumper. There isnt any reason wht you cant make a pattern for the holes, very carefully mark it out, and use something as simple as a jig saw with a steel blade on it to cut it out. What I suggest is that you transfer the pattern to the bumper, then cut well inside the lines. This way, if you get a little shakey while cutting, you still have some room to fix it.
After you have them cut out. Then use either a die grinder, electric grinder, or even a file and clean up the holes til' the lights fit like you want them too.
Im nopt too familiar with the bumper brackets and how much room you have to change bulbs. Im assuming, that in the worst case scenerio, you could fabricate a "low profile" back housing for your light fixture. Maybe that would be a good idea too. Otherwise, you may have to cut out the area behind the lights and fabricate a new "recessed area" for the original light housings to have room to fit back there.
Dunno, if this helps but......
Also, do like I did, I found a second bumper, so I wasnt so scared to cut one up! It doesnt have to be a perfect bumper. Believe it or not they are easy to straigten with a decent sized hammer and a 4X4 as a dolly! LOL

-
Back