Factory 318 EFI in a Dakota - mo power?

-

airwoofer

Drivetrain limit explorer
Reaction score
My friend has his kid's Dakota while he is away in the Navy and wants to boost the power a tad. I tried to get him to buy my 340 but he doesn't want to spend what it would take to put that in. So now he wants to put on some bolt-on power to the 318.

Any ideas? I think a bolt-on supercharger or turbo may be the ticket but really I have no idea. He would probably drop $1500- 2000 into 100 HP if that is possible.

FABO suggestions? I think the truck is late 90's but he didn't have a definate answer.

PS. I think this all started when he heard my (new to me) car start/run. Mopars have a way of doing that to people. Another guy who got to ride in a burnout in my fish went out and bought a new supercharged rustang.

1st thing I would do is put a true duel exhaust on it,not a cat system,you can get a obd2 catalatic dual in dual out,think mine came 2 1/4'' but had muffler shop open it to 2 1/2'',,run 2 1/2'' pipes and retain your sensors,I ran headers also,think we ran some type of glasspak mufflers,also had a hypertech programer[3stage],you could also rework the throttle body to a larger size like from a 48 mm to a 52mm or something like that,its been a few yrs since I did it so may not be accurate or exact,a limited slip[sure grip] in the rear makes a difference in putting the power to the asphalt..and 1 more thing is after we did all the above which indeed helped alot we installed under the throttle body a little device known as the 'tornado' and that 1 thing was more noticable in the seat of the pants improvement and throttle response and we gained 2-3 mpg's...all this can be done without getting into the engine and between the muffler shop and your garage you can do it all yourself,next step would prob be a nitrous plate 100-200 shot[all this was done on a 98 RT dak 360]

This is a small list of what is out there;

Super charger
Dual and single plane intakes
Hughes engines has a dual plane FI set up. Really nice.
Hughes engines also modifes the the throttle body.
1.7 roller rockers
Edelbrock heads
Headers
Cams from many sources

The supercharger will out strip the budget alone.
A cam, headers, exhaust and intake with throttle body mod from Hughes engines will be about 2K, slightly more if you try trick dual exhaust under that chassis. Twin pipes under that truck is very very tight. I own a '03. I don't see it happening and taking the same path as stock. This would drop the pipes down under the chassis and be viewable from the side.

Agree on exhaust. My '00 R/T has cat-back duals...and it helped.

You could put on a '92 3" manifold flange and crossover setup, and then cat backs.

I need to measure mine to verify, but I think that's what I have.

Late 90's dak has no prob supporting true dual exhausts,the cat was turned sideways...I was just offering suggestions within the budget he proposed,and without getting internal,is his sons trk so how far he goes has both of those things to contend with...

-
Back