Factory backspace for 14x5.5 rally?

-

blackbomber

Raging Member
Reaction score
I feel like I shouldn't need to start a new thread on this, but both my FABO and general internet searches are giving me conflicting information.

I have 14" x 5.5" large bolt pattern factory Rally wheels on my car (in sig pic). Are they all the same backspace, and if so, what is it?

The reason I ask is that I'm interested in buying a set of 14"x7" rallys with 4.25 backspace (wheel vintiques). I already have new 225/70's on the rear of my Duster, and intend to keep them. The reason for the wider wheel, aside from the fact that it would be a better fit for that tire, is that I'm trying to close the gap between the wide Duster rear wells, and my relatively skinny tires. I had thought of getting bold on spacers, but for the price of these wheels, it seems like a better choice. I'm simply trying to get a solid idea of how much further out I'll be with the 7" wide rims. Your thoughts on this idea are welcome, as well.

Don't have my notes here at work but think it was 3-1/4" bs on the small bolt pattern.

Seems the 14X7 would only move your tire out about 1/2" with the 4.25 bs

Thanks for the reply. Well that's a third number from what I have been finding. Thankfully, the seller is going to give me some time, so I'll pull a wheel and measure them when I get home.

I believe mine were 4" when I checked them. I laid them on the concrete floor and measured up to the center before I put tires on them. I put a b body rear in my Dart and was curious what they were before I put them on. I thought I was going to need a lot more than that. You can see them in my sig pic.

Well the bold circle is 5x4.5." As for the width, I thought my original steelies were 4.5" wide, and the Rally's 5.5" or 6", depending on application. My set is definately 14" x 5.5" (measured them all, and mounted tires myself).

ahandful hit the nail on the head with the last sentance of his post, which I did not see until now (doing this at work, for shame). Although I'm getting these wheels cheap enough to be worth even a half inch extra space, I'd prefer an inch (roomy duster wells). And then there is the issue of trim rings to consider.....

I still think this is a cool idea. Both rims will be $90.00 shipped, and one of my rears is a little warped, so it makes even more sense from that perspective. Heading home now to walk dogs, and measure backspace....

1/2" different offset actually makes a noticable difference on the looks of a tire and wheel. IMO

1/2" different offset actually makes a noticable difference on the looks of a tire and wheel. IMO

On further consideration, I have to agree. My axle seems to be shifted 1/4" to the right, and it's noticeable. I've seen other cars that look this way, and I'm told it's not uncommon for production to vary by that amount. If I think about it, for $90.00 shipped (from NM), I'm solving my bent rim, getting a nicer track, and leaving room for a wider tire in the future (assuming one can still get a nice 14" tire by then). If I sell my factory trim rings (all 4), I might even be able to make this a zero cost upgrade, or close to it. Then running ringless will solve the issue of needing to find expensive rings for the wider rim. Hmm.... Cut the lawn, or measure wheel backspace. I think the lawn can wait another day.

On further consideration, I have to agree. My axle seems to be shifted 1/4" to the right, and it's noticeable. I've seen other cars that look this way, and I'm told it's not uncommon for production to vary by that amount. If I think about it, for $90.00 shipped (from NM), I'm solving my bent rim, getting a nicer track, and leaving room for a wider tire in the future (assuming one can still get a nice 14" tire by then). If I sell my factory trim rings (all 4), I might even be able to make this a zero cost upgrade, or close to it. Then running ringless will solve the issue of needing to find expensive rings for the wider rim. Hmm.... Cut the lawn, or measure wheel backspace. I think the lawn can wait another day.

Yep I agree with the axle shift. Thinking it maybe has to do with the axle bearing adjuster being on one side.

Found my personal notes on wheel backspacing I had 3-7/16 bs for the small bolt rally wheel. I had 3-1/4 bs for a steel Formula S & GTS style 14 X 5.5 steel wheel. I measure from the mounting flange to the inside tire bead seat for back spacing.

Yep I agree with the axle shift. Thinking it maybe has to do with the axle bearing adjuster being on one side.

More probably a case of typical body build variations
And 1/4 inch variance on a rear axle is rare, usally more than 3/4 inch.
Mopar was not known for great build quality back then.
I actually had to swap right rear doors on 2 Valiants back in the day.
Doors would shut right but the body lines were off over 1/4 inch.
If you lined up the body lines, you had to slam the door. :banghead:

Well to further describe my axle variance, there is 1/2" greater distance from the outer tread of the tire to the inner lip of the wheelwell on the driver side (real scientific method, I know). So I split the difference to come up with the 1/4" I stated earlier, figuring the axle shifted 1/4" to the right would do that. But visually, you are seeing 1/2" more gap on the driver side. If it's a body issue, as opposed to an axle issue, then I think 1/2" is a more appropriate figure to describe it.

Now this is off the original topic, but I'm curious: How are people going about correcting this? Obviously shifting one or both spring perches slightly would do it, or adding a spacer (or different offset rim). This is low on my list of priorities, but since the topic is up for discussion, I'm curious to what people are doing.

I have used a spacer on one wheel before. I tend to run big tires that barely fit. With the early A's and the 68 Dart the fenders are low. So I have used 1/4" spacer on one side to minimize rubbing on the inner fender. Quality is important when using a space has to be a solid piece of aluminum no voids from castings.

-
Back