Factory Carbie?

-

ValiantHardtop

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Drove the 318 '72 Scamp for the first time yesterday. Major fuelling issues - massively rich, fouling plugs, stalling off idle. I took the air cleaner off to find this massive, unfamiliar (I guess factory) two barrel with fuel leaks everywhere and a whole bunch of broken emissions/choke gear hanging off it.

Is this factory carb worth rebuilding/saving? I'm inclined to remove it and replace it with a 350cfm Holley. Is this standard LA motor practice?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Nick

H'mmm. The Carter BBD used on all '72 318s isn't massive, and is more or less identical to the Carter BBDs used on your local Australian 273s, 318s, and 2bbl Slant- and Hemi-6s. Perhaps your car hasn't got an original carburetor after all. No, installing a 350 Holley is not "standard practice". It's one option -- probably not one I'd pick -- but it is not standard.

Got any pics ?

Is your Scamp an export model , or an original U.S.-spec model which was exported ?

Every BBD I've ever rebuilt -- both original with all its assembly line tags and matching numbers , and "remanufactured" garbage -- had a warped air horn ; this causes vacuum leaks as well as fuel leaks .

BBD's are so incredibly easy to rebuild that it's funny . Just some careful massaging of the mating surfaces , etc. , and you're good .

Sounds like it might have that hermorphodite holley 2bbl that came on some small blocks. What a piece! I bet it looks sorta like this:

Attachments

• HERMORPHODITE.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 169
Nah, doesn't look like that. I'll grab a photo tonight, but from the 30 second look-over I gave it it looked like one of those Predator carbs from the 80's... Very square float bowl.

A Predator, for those who didn't buy bad technology from way back when:

carb_v2big.jpg

It had an electronic choke-looking thing with a black cover that says LEAN on the left hand side (as you look from the front of the car) too. And an idle stepper solenoid that was mangled and half hanging off.

This description probably isn't helping. I'll grab a pic.

Given that a 350/500 Holley will be about $400 by the time it's on my doorstep, I'm increasingly inclined to try to repair this mystery carb, just to get me through until my Christmas vacation when I intend to get a set of headers, build an exhaust and put a 4 barrel manifold and carb on it.

StrokerScamp, that's a Holley 2210 as found on 360 and larger engines starting sometime in the '70s…not a carb that would've come on a 318.

It's a 72 Dan. No tellin what the thing has on it.

Of course not, but the OP thinks his carb is original. I'm hoping for some pics so we can visually ID what he's got.

Hey all,

Thanks for the earlier advice... On further inspection, the two barrel I had was a Ford item - FoMoCo tags and Ford part number. Weird, weird, weird.

The float was obviously way high or the needle and seat was stuck. It didn't have a Holley style float adjuster and I couldn't find a sight plug for fuel levels. Plus the whole thing was covered in broken emissions/choke gear, as I said above.

The stalling/flooding/fouling plugs issue got so bad today that I went down to the local parts place and bought a 350 Holley. Floats/idle settings/jetting was perfect right out of the box, car is now beautiful to drive and I've picked up power - Will now blaze the tyres all the way through first.

Good times!

-
Back