Factory door moldings or not

-

Scott’s 73

Reaction score
I have a 1973 Dodge dart four-door custom and the moldings go from the fender all the way back onto the quarter panels. Look to have a rubber insert the slides in a track but they seem to have shrunk so I’m short about 1 to 2 inches on every molding, the molding track that the rubber slides into is a mounted with about three or four screws in every molding. Any ideas where I could get that rubber in length so I could slide new pieces in

Here’s the moldings

IMG_0638.jpeg

Were those factory or dealer installed?
Regardless....I'm not a fan of them. I only own 2 door cars but maybe for a 4 door, they might fit the vibe better.

I installed a couple of these at the dealership back in the day. If these are aftermarket, you out of luck.

The holes in the body panels seem to be perfect and one end of each molding comes off so the rubber molding can slip out so the 3 or 4 screws can be installed holding the stainless track in place this seemed like pretty good quality but maybe it’s aftermarket and I’ll can just fill the holes before I paint the car

Believe it or not, A guy once told me how to make that rubber insert grow, and it worked. I removed the rubber insert and coiled it into a old electric coffee pot nearly filled with WD40. After about 2 hours of heating, I took it out of the pot, allowed it to cool and put it back in the track. I actually had to force some excess length in to get the end pieces of the trim back on.
edit; I just noticed yours to be a 73 model. Mine was a 73 Gremlin Levis X. Med. dark blue paint and the side trim was a lighter shade of blue.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, A guy once told me how to make that rubber insert grow, and it worked. I removed the rubber insert and coiled it into a old electric coffee pot nearly filled with WD40. After about 2 hours of heating, I took it out of the pot, allowed it to cool and put it back in the track. I actually had to force some excess length in to get the end pieces of the trim back on.
I wouldn't remove the trim / mouldings. They do help to prevent dings in a parking lot.

I would like to make it as close as factory complete as possible. My mom passed away. This was on her property for the last 27 years Park. Non-opt.

-
Back