factory flaw in a muffler?

-

tom340

Reaction score
This must be a rarity. Has anyone ever been unfortunate enough to purchase a new muffler(s) that had an internal problem causing a substantial drop in performance? Im about to consider borrowing a pair of mufflers just to eliminate one component from the short list of what is ailing.
I have a few weeks before we yank the new turd Dynamic converter, which we know IS disfunctional behind my motor.

Have not seen a muffler but I have seen a y-pipe with one pipe sticking about an inch into the path of the exhaust flow. So I think it could also happen to a muffler.

Tom: Good to see ya on. Never ran into that problem with a muffler but one would think that the factory would have a quick flow test as simple as that would be for a FCO. It's man made so screw ups will always be a possibility. If it's not returnable cut it open and take a look.

You mentioned the t-convertor being a turd, is it possible that this is the problem & not the muffler? Whats wrong with the convertor?

You mentioned the t-convertor being a turd, is it possible that this is the problem & not the muffler? Whats wrong with the convertor?
I have gone over the converter issues over in "transmissions". My engine builder reviewed in detail the motor specs with Dynamic to see what would work within my budget. They feel a 9 1/2" race converter is the cure-all, but told him the 11" street would work fine for me. Dynamic claims 2600-3200 stall with the 11" street unit. Not even close! Basically heres the converter problem- the converter locks up right off idle.. ZERO flash RPM. My brand new stroked smallblock which made 430 HP and almost 450 Tq 4 weeks ago on the dyno feels like a stock smog 340. I have a new custom converter coming in about 2-3 weeks.
I know this will fix the off idle power, low end and make for cool holeshots but my brother feels "something" is really holding the motor back at higher RPM. The car should be absolutely terrifying with obscene traction problems. You know the tranny has been freshly rebuilt as well, have heard that too much throttle pressure can kill your performance if he (tranny builder) F'kd up something with the pump.
I know an internal flaw with one of the mufflers is a reach..but that could mess things up.

I've seen some mufflers that are generic that had 2.5" inlet and outlets but the internal piping was only 2". Throw soem flowmasters or equivalent on there. then there won't be any questions.

Actually they are Dynomax Hi flow. The best performance mufflers they make. Apparently this extremely uncommon and Im having doubts the mufflers are an issue at all.

Run it without and see. Iv'e seen flowmaster loose a baffle inside and rattle and plug. If man makes it It Can And Will F-up. Disconnect from the most forward point and try it out and see if it changes.

follow up: mufflers are OK. However my motor seems to hate the factory manifolds dispite the porting work done by Gesslers. Cant do it "this" year but the tti step headers are a must for a winter project. Might as well install the X pipe while we're under there.
As soon as the new race converter is installed the car is going up on a chassis dyno and we will see for sure exactly how much the factory iron is hurting.

Well don't know about the mufflers. I do know whene I unhooked my manifolds and looked down my exhaust. One tube had been sliped into another one cosing a step in the pipe. That cant be good for HP!

-
Back